S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Down shifting into 2nd

Old 04-16-2012, 05:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Down shifting into 2nd

Hi all,

I'm not sure what the problem is with this so I was wondering if this had happened to anyone else.

Pretty much every time I try and down shift into 2nd at mid RPM it feels like there is no gear there (it doesn't grind or anything). I have to let the revs drop really low for it to go in (like rev matching).

I have had a new clutch, master cylinder and fluid change about 2 months ago. I have also ground down the slave ball that goes into the selector fork and re-greased the shifter ball joint but that has had no affect. Should I replace the slave cylinder?

It is going to be due for a oil change in the next 4 months but I can't imagine that old oil would cause it to do that.

I suppose it could be the syncro on the way out, but wouldn't it just grind?
Old 04-16-2012, 05:47 AM

Since you say the issue is ONLY with 2nd gear, it does not sound like a hydraulic issue. It sounds more like you have an internal issue with the transmission such as the gear itself or the shift fork for that gear. What is the year/mileage of your s2k? Were you having this issue prior to the new clutch and master cylinder installation? Changing the oil will have no effect on this issue.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:11 AM

it happens to 2nd mostly but intermittently to 6th also. It's a MY00 with 74k on the clock and it happens cold and hot (so the feel doesn't improve).

Its been happening for about 4-6 months before I got the clutch and master cylinder changed. My master cylinder was leaking and I think the piston was seizing so I'm thinking the slave cylinder might have the same thing? Also I'm worried it could be 1-2 syncro which I understand has a weaker collar than later years?
Old 04-16-2012, 06:45 AM

Are you losing any clutch fluid? If the slave cylinder is leaking you should slowly see the fluid level dropping. I can't see the slave cylinder causing issues only with 2nd (and sometimes 6th) gear though. The synchros for all gears are weaker on the earlier transmissions as they are brass and they upgraded to carbon synchros on later s2ks to alleviate synchro issues. If you do find the issue is internal to the transmission, you might want to look into upgrading to an AP2 tranny with stronger synchros and better gearing.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:55 AM

Thanks for the info, very helpful.

Are the symptoms of not going into gear syncro related then, I would of thought if the syncro was going it would grind into gear (which mine isn't doing, it's just difficult)?

Is there any linkage alignment adjustment I can do? (might be worth a shot if there is)
Old 04-16-2012, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Owen_1987

Are the symptoms of not going into gear syncro related then, I would of thought if the syncro was going it would grind into gear (which mine isn't doing, it's just difficult)?

Is there any linkage alignment adjustment I can do? (might be worth a shot if there is)
I would also think that the synchros would cause an issue with grinding more so than not engaging the gear at all. If you were having difficulty engaging all gears I would think it was a hydraulic or clutch issue. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to regrease the shifter as seen here but again I can't see this causing the issue you are having. From my past experience with other cars, issues with not engaging specific gears at all are often due to bent/damaged shift forks or other internal transmission issues like sheered gear teeth or bad bearings. Did you "power shift" the car a lot (hard/fast shifting) prior to this happening?
Old 04-16-2012, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by NFRAP2
Originally Posted by Owen_1987' timestamp='1334588154' post='21611852

I would also think that the synchros would cause an issue with grinding more so than not engaging the gear at all. If you were having difficulty engaging all gears I would think it was a hydraulic or clutch issue. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to regrease the shifter as seen here but again I can't see this causing the issue you are having. From my past experience with other cars, issues with not engaging specific gears at all are often due to bent/damaged shift forks or other internal transmission issues like sheered gear teeth or bad bearings. Did you "power shift" the car a lot (hard/fast shifting) prior to this happening?
Im sure i have done hard/fast shift a fair bit when having some fun but i don't recall any change when driving notmally afterwards.

You have jogged my memory a bit though. I remember before i took it to get the clutch/ mc done I was having the same problem with 1st and after it kind of feels like the problem has moved to 2nd.

I'm fairly mechanically minded but I find it all so strange I honestly have no idea.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:32 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Owen_1987
Pretty much every time I try and down shift into 2nd at mid RPM it feels like there is no gear there (it doesn't grind or anything). I have to let the revs drop really low for it to go in (like rev matching).
This all happens with the clutch pressed?
What happens or what do you hear when you let the clutch come up while it feels like there is no gear selected?
Can you move the shifter further backwards when it does get into gear - al lower revs?
What happens when you shift into 2nd, from neutral, with engine running but not driving?
Those plastic shifter bushings were ok?
There was a small one at the bottom end of the shifter?
Do you have a lot of play in the shifter, forwars/backwards and/or sideways, play before you feel return-spring tension I mean.

I think you need to be more specific about what happens.

2nd and 6th gearsets are close to eachother, to select 2nd the shifter has to pull 2nd gear synchro backwards while for 6th it has to push 6th gear synchro forwards.
On the shifter itself 2nd and 6th are both backwards from neutral, so I think this means they use different pivots and rods.
Without a doubt a different shift fork, but that's kinda obvious.

Old 04-21-2012, 03:03 AM

Thanks for all your help and advise guys.

I've been doing a bit of research and apparently it's to do with the adjustment on the CMC rod so the pedal has zero freeplay (as per Billmans instruction). I'm going to give that a go today and see what happens.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:18 AM

Great drawing SpitfireS.

So your saying you have trouble getting into second and sometimes sixth? You sure you haven't been skipping gears on the way up the box?

Quick Reply: Down shifting into 2nd