S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Downstream O2 Sensors Replacement

Old 07-11-2022, 04:41 PM

Received 371 Likes on 345 Posts

Nuts/bolts/springs, have used mine 10-15 times with no issue of bind.
Old 07-11-2022, 05:03 PM

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

Any part of the o2 sensor that fell off will not go anywhere so its best to try to get the loose parts out. I would try to vacuum them out, hook a small flexible hose to the end of a vacuum and see if that works before I take it all apart. It won't take much vacuum to pick up those small pieces laying at the bottom of the cat.

Rod
The following users liked this post:
noodels (07-12-2022)
Old 07-11-2022, 09:27 PM

Received 1,621 Likes on 963 Posts

Good idea!
Old 07-12-2022, 06:56 AM

Received 1,169 Likes on 1,022 Posts

The CA warranty for emission components is 8 years and 80K miles so I am past the timeline.
US Federal mandate for emission related items is 8 years/80,000 miles not just California. All S2000s are well beyond that point so it won't help here but with newer cars get it to the dealer before that expires.

My '07 Ford Expedition just lit the CEL with a bad secondary sensor code. Dealer called me after a day in the shop and started quoting the significant repair costs and required I pay for all the parts up front before he ordered them! I mentioned the 8/8K warranty, significant pause then he said he'd "get back to me." Within 5 minutes I got a invoice in my email for $0 and a note a new cat is on back order nationwide and they'd notify me when it came in. I reset the annoying light and it's not come back on but deep testing at the dealer showed the problem is still there.

-- Chuck
Old 07-12-2022, 08:26 AM

Received 132 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
US Federal mandate for emission related items is 8 years/80,000 miles not just California. All S2000s are well beyond that point so it won't help here but with newer cars get it to the dealer before that expires.

My '07 Ford Expedition just lit the CEL with a bad secondary sensor code. Dealer called me after a day in the shop and started quoting the significant repair costs and required I pay for all the parts up front before he ordered them! I mentioned the 8/8K warranty, significant pause then he said he'd "get back to me." Within 5 minutes I got a invoice in my email for $0 and a note a new cat is on back order nationwide and they'd notify me when it came in. I reset the annoying light and it's not come back on but deep testing at the dealer showed the problem is still there.

-- Chuck
They knew. They were just banking on YOU not knowing.
Old 07-12-2022, 10:41 AM

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
Good idea!
Just don't call me MacGyver LOL

Rod
Old 07-13-2022, 03:21 PM

Well I really thought Honda of America would come through. Spent $165 clams to have the dealer document the issue. Smaller rural dealer who was familiar with the Goodwill process and forms. Just got some "goodwill" for another customer. Called an hour or so after I left.

Denied. Why? It is a S2000! Designed to be revved up and so nada on the converter.

Will try to vacuum out the pieces of the sensor tip, install the spacer and new sensor and clear things out. However, it will be a week to get to it so I will let you know how it turns out in a couple of weeks.
Old 07-14-2022, 08:09 AM

Received 1,364 Likes on 1,026 Posts

The real reason is they (dealership) know you aren't going to trade the S in on another Honda. Ever. Also less likely to buy a new Honda to add to your fleet.

They know who their customers are. Profiled.

They know what vehicles they have available, and what type of vehicles you're most likely to buy in the next 6 months.

They might end up being wrong, but its a gamble they're willing to make for the cost of a cat.
Old 07-24-2022, 06:48 PM

The dealer contacted me and said they were so sure Honda America would go for it, they ordered the parts. I informed them of my plans. They offered to sell the converter at a price lower than anything I can find online. (OEM available) I am tempted to just pop in a new one and sell my old one on eBay with full disclosure to help make up the difference. I could also sell it here on the forum. I would throw in the spacer for good measure.

Would anyone here want the 77K mile cat? The media in the front has moved aft but slides forward without issue. Except for that issue, works and looks great.

Old 07-29-2022, 08:15 AM

The dealer offered me the parts at cost. Turned out to be less than what I could find online. The CAT came in around $1000 plus some other stuff. I found the original CAT media was continuing to move aft despite me trying out a spacer. I guess the threads did not extend into the CAT far enough or the indentation formed by the old dead O2 sensor allowed it to move anyway. Of course if the California emissions checker saw it, it would fail and I would be back at the start.

I went for the offer from the dealer and installed the new CAT and O2 sensor. All new bolts and nuts. When I separated the CAT heat shield I found some kind of super light weight material (hope it was not asbestos) that appeared to be injected or was a liquid during manufacture, that surrounded the actual CAT. I checked with a couple of Honda dealers and no one has ever seen anything like this.

I left it in place for the new CAT as it fit the OEM part. At least I thought it might keep any rattles away.

This is the new CAT.

Used CAT. Nice welding but the media DID fail and move around.

Heat shield removed from CAT. You can see what looks like a liquid was applied during manufacture.

Pieces replaced before laying new CAT in place for assembly.

New CAT ready for the cover. New CAT was made in Japan, Honda part. Welds were not as nice as the original 2009 one.

Quick Reply: Downstream O2 Sensors Replacement