S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

DS Window Fuse Blows When Operating Top

Old 05-21-2019, 05:20 AM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Unhappy DS Window Fuse Blows When Operating Top

Folks,

About half of the time when I put down my top, the driver's side power window fuse will blow. I did search, and I wasn't able to find an instance of this problem before.
  • I thought it could be because the tracks needed a little lube, but it happens even if the window is already down - the act of putting the top down causes enough current to blow the fuse even if the motor doesn't move.
  • I have not seen it blow just operating the window by itself.
  • I tried a 25 amp fuse and it blows as well (stock is 20 amp).
  • The window always goes down with the top, the fuse blows some time during the remainder of the top operation.
At this point, I am thinking I should take a look under the door panel for a short or something, but I don't expect to find one. I suspect that I need to replace the motor. Anyone have a better idea?
Old 05-21-2019, 05:45 AM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

Does the top still go up-&-down after the fuse blows? I'm thinking the roof or its motors maybe the issue. I believe there are two motors on each side of the car, operating the roof.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:48 AM

Yes, the roof works great. Only the fuse for the DS power window blows. I unlatch the roof, hit the down switch, and the windows drop and the top goes down normally. Later, when I try to raise the top, the top will go up fine, but only the passenger window will go up - DS is blown.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:09 AM

Does the driver's window work fine, with its own switch? That is, no roof involved?
Old 05-21-2019, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by windhund116
Does the driver's window work fine, with its own switch? That is, no roof involved?
Yep.

My theory is that the motor is wearing out, and it is just drawing slightly too much current. The fuse is slow-blowing, in that it only blows because the motor is being held against the stop for long enough to overheat the fuse. I suppose I could test this by just holding the window switch down for ~20 seconds and seeing if the fuse blows.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by FastUnicorn
Yep.

My theory is that the motor is wearing out, and it is just drawing slightly too much current. The fuse is slow-blowing, in that it only blows because the motor is being held against the stop for long enough to overheat the fuse. I suppose I could test this by just holding the window switch down for ~20 seconds and seeing if the fuse blows.
There is also, a Convertible Top ECU under the passenger seat dash. There is a series of electrical tests, to check for shorts and continuity in the service manual. (Page 22-177, of 2000-2005 Honda SM).
Old 05-21-2019, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by windhund116
There is also, a Convertible Top ECU under the passenger seat dash. There is a series of electrical tests, to check for shorts and continuity in the service manual. (Page 22-177, of 2000-2005 Honda SM).
Good point, thank you. I will do some poking around and report back.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:21 AM

Received 1,316 Likes on 994 Posts

I was also thinking try to reproduce by holding down window switch. But also try to reproduce using auto down, by just momentarily pressing window switch.

When the top is operated, for the passenger side it does the same thing as holding down window switch for the duration of the top folding exercise.

When the window is operated via the switch, its supposed to sense the increase in current when window hits the bottom, then shutoff applying current.

But for drivers side, according to something I just read posted by well respected member TwoHoos, for the DS it relies on tbe autodown feature, and just momentarily 'hits the switch'.

There is an autodown reset procedure. Maybe try that.

Close DS window
Turn off car
Turn key on
Lower window and keep holding down button for 10 seconds after window hits bottom
Raise window, keep holding button 10 seconds after hits top
Turn key off

Verify autodown works. Maybe need to redo it more than once. May need to go longer, like 15 seconds.

My theory is the auto down is applying current to window motor for too long. Resetting it should help it relearn and not blow fuse.
Old 07-01-2019, 01:04 PM

So, a few developments. I tried the auto-down reset, it did not work.

It now seems like it is happening almost at random. I put the top down when I was leaving work, (letting the top button put the windows down) and it killed the fuse.

This past weekend, I was autocrossing and put the top down at the beginning of the day. At some point I checked, and the DS window still worked. At the end of the day, after 10+ restarts and heat cycles, the window fuse was blown.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:39 AM

Ok, the fuse blowing is unrelated to the top, but it is related to the window being down. Yesterday I put the top down leaving work, and immediately checked - the DS window still worked as I was leaving the lot. I got to the gym, maybe 15 minutes/5 miles later, and the fuse was blown. I didn't touch or interact with the window or top at any time during the drive. I am guessing maybe some kind of wiring issue @ the motor? I will pull the door panel and take a look. Any other ideas?

Quick Reply: DS Window Fuse Blows When Operating Top