S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Effects +/- removing/eliminating cat?

Old 01-30-2008, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Effects +/- removing/eliminating cat?

Okay so I have an AP1 s2k. Stock except for short ram intake. Where I live there is no emissions test req to register and insure cars. I have heard that removing cat/cats and replacing with just a piece of pipe will help the engine in any car significantly. Power, life, everything gets better.

Is this correct? What will doing this cause? Should I? Why? Thoughts? Etc... Etc...

(P.S.--I am generally technically proficient... but I don't wrench for a living and I am certainly not an engine designer...so please be kind... K.I.S)

Any comments would be appreciated. Please do not take offense to the question from an environmental perspective... If I knew what all the effects of doing this would be... I wouldn't be asking!!!

--Life is too short not to use V-Tec!!! Spin-em!
Old 01-30-2008, 06:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

search for "test pipe" and you'll get all your answers
Old 02-14-2008, 10:09 PM

get a test pipe! Cheapest and easiest/quickest way to gain a few quick HP! Be prepared for louder exhaust decibles, esp, if u are modded.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:43 AM

You can buy a test pipe but dont expect huge gains from it. And also with the test pipe you can smell gas when you are a stoplight and the sound of the exhaust may be a little buzzy.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Adding a test tipe will do several things:
1. The exhaust note will be louder.
2. You will create more undesireable emissions from your car (more nitrogen oxides, carbon monoxide & unburnt hydrocarbons).
3. You will throw an exhaust code if you don't accommodate for the secondary O2 sensor.
4. The car will be slightly lighter (a couple pounds).
5. You will gain a few horsepower.

All in all, it's not worth it to me, but your list of priorities may be different than mine.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:11 AM

Other effects is it will cause the car to run leaner, make black soot appear on the rear bumper if the exhaust tips do not extend out far enough, not be legal and have to be changed over for visual inspections.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:24 AM

Not worth it, do us a favour and keep the cat (stock s2000 cat is already a high flow cat)
Old 02-15-2008, 06:04 AM

It is all up to you a testpipe is worth it for some people. There are negative affects and positive affects,
Since you dont have to pass emmisions why not?
If you can deal with the smell, why not buy a test pipe they are only 100 dollars some dynos have shown hp/tq going up by 6/5.
And you shed some pounds.
You will need a CEL fix because the cel will come on after a couple of miles if you do not have one. Berk supposively makes a good cel fix with there testpipe, also there is a mechanical fix to, search mechanical 02 fix

Rob
Old 02-15-2008, 04:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get a high(er) flow cat from Berk or Random Technology.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:15 PM

I HIGHLY recommend getting the test pipe, I got the berk one that came with the check engine light fix. Car sounds almost the same, just a tiny bit louder. Weighs less than half of the weight of the cat, and I also gained 8whp and 5tq with the stock exhaust. Dyno proven back to back. Cheapest way to get that much horsepower. Theres no emissions testing in florida so thats not a problem.

Quick Reply: Effects +/- removing/eliminating cat?