S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

electronics for turbo?

Old 02-13-2003, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electronics for turbo?

Hello all,
I have been lurking around here for awhile without actually posting. I am currently half way thru my custom turbo project. And I have a few questions regarding electronics and whats needed as far to get the car boosting safley. I plan on running 7 psi max and am considering the emanage and bigger injectors for fuel. So here is the big question.

What else is needed. Do I need a voltage clamp? Will the emange effectively retard timing? Or will I need something else?
Will I need to use some type of check valve in front of the map sensor or will the voltage clamp fix this? Also will a spilt second voltage clamp work and what specs do I need it set at?

Also what size injectors should I use on the emanage? 440cc?

Sorry for all the questions, hopefully somebody can awnser yhem
Old 02-14-2003, 04:47 AM

Originally posted by boostins2k
Hello all,
I have been lurking around here for awhile without actually posting. I am currently half way thru my custom turbo project. And I have a few questions regarding electronics and whats needed as far to get the car boosting safley. I plan on running 7 psi max and am considering the emanage and bigger injectors for fuel. So here is the big question.

What else is needed. Do I need a voltage clamp? Will the emange effectively retard timing? Or will I need something else?
Will I need to use some type of check valve in front of the map sensor or will the voltage clamp fix this? Also will a spilt second voltage clamp work and what specs do I need it set at?

Also what size injectors should I use on the emanage? 440cc?

Sorry for all the questions, hopefully somebody can awnser yhem
Disclaimer: I am not running a turbo, I am running a supercharger.

You need a voltage clamp. You run a SplitSecond or a Comptech ESM. Either will clamp voltage at 2.9 volts. I am sure there are other solutions, but both of those will work.

I am under the impression the eManage will allow you to have control over or at least influence timing. I am not sure though if it takes boost levels as an input. I am pretty sure that the Vortech kit includes a box that takes boost as an input to modify timing. Since 7 PSI is pretty close to their boost level also, maybe something like that would work for you.

Unless you are planning to go above 7 PSI, you shouldn't need to upgrade injectors. I am running 7.6 PSI on stock injectors with no issue.

-YS
Old 02-14-2003, 04:56 AM

Yellow Streak is correct, you will not need to upgrade injectors to feed enough fuel @ 7psi. You can actually get away with running up to about 10psi on the stock injectors. This being said... The Greddy e-Manage is an excellent choice. The e-Manage does have it's own pressure sensor so that you can use a voltage clamp to "cheat" the ECU and still read pressure accurately. All of the equipment you need you can get from Evolution Autosports (site sponsor) who is local and therefore you don't have to worry should you have any warranty issues. Your best bet would be to go with the Greddy Profec E-01 if you're going the e-Manage route. This gives you the ability to control / program the e-Manage without use of a PC and it also gives you the data logging feature. Another item that's a must in any FI conversion is a wideband O2 sensor. The cheapest way that I've found so far is the Greddy 60mm Air / Fuel warning meter. You'll need to weld another bung onto the downpipe but that's no big deal. Again, this can be purchased at Evolution. Speak to Jeff (703) 961-9090:

http://www.evolutionautosports.com/

I am currently working on a Comptech SC car installing this system. Since you're local, after I finish with this car I can help you out. PM me for additional info or email me at LSaccone@comcast.net.
-BS2KT
Old 02-14-2003, 05:51 AM

Wow thanks for the quick replies guys

Ok here are some additional questions, will I need the greddy emanage optional pressure sensor like you are saying? Or run the emanage with the split second voltage clamp?

And the greddy a/f meter I see comes with its own wideband 02, is this very accurate? And is the needle lazy kinda like on egt gauges giving me a delayed reading?

Also

So the stock injectors are fine but does the emanage have the ability to increase fueling via the stock injectors? Are the stock ones pretty much maxed out at a max saftey duty injector cycle 80%? Also what cc are the stock injectors at 310?

Will I also need a upgraded fuel pump.....hhhaa sorry bout all these questions guys, I just dont wanna blow the damn motor.
Old 02-14-2003, 05:54 AM

Or another thing, how about if I run a vortech FMU and run like 5-6 psi. IS this even worth it? And will I still need to some how retard timing?
Thanks Again!!
Old 02-14-2003, 06:38 AM

You should get:

15500550 Greddy e-Manage
15500901 Optional Injector Harness (for future expansion)
15500902 Optional Ignition Harness
16401301 Greddy Pressure Sensor
16401406 Pressure Sensor Harness

15500207 Greddy Profec e-01

16000812 Greddy 60mm Air / Fuel warning meter

You will still need the pressure sensor along with the voltage clamp.

The A/F meter is VERY accurate, and it's real time not delayed. A little tough to follow during narrow throttle but it's smoother on hard accelerations.

The stock injectors are 330cc / min and in stock trim they flow at about 75% duty cycle. My recommendation is to go with an upgraded fuel pump and a 6:1 FMU. This being said you should be running at approx 85% duty cycle to fill your needs. PM me with a phone number and a good time to call if you want. It would be much easier.
-BS2KT
Old 02-14-2003, 07:15 AM

How many of you guys have tried running 7psi with stock injectors at a reasonable fuel pressure?
Old 02-14-2003, 07:20 AM

blacks2000 turbo...thanks I Pmed you
Its just mind boggling to me that the stock injectors can handle 7psi with a simple pump and 6:1 fmu.
I have F/I ed 2 miatas and they were running 12:1FMU's and the max we could go with that was 5psi. After that you would need a piggy or standalone to control via bigger or addtl injectors....regardless thanks for the wealth of info and you can call me anytime
Old 02-14-2003, 08:25 AM

i am at 6.8lbs with a 4.375 pulley, not sure about what the fuel pressure is because gauges are on the way....

keith
Old 02-14-2003, 08:25 AM

Depends on how you define "reasonable fuel pressure"

Quick Reply: electronics for turbo?