S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine humming as it crosses over til VTEC

Old 07-27-2008, 01:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine humming as it crosses over til VTEC

Hi guys

i went to a trackday event yesterday. I've been to several trackdays lately, and never had any problems with my S. Anyways. It was pretty hot yesterday, for norwegian standards, around 30C. At first the engined seemed fine, but as i ran a few laps , the engine started to develop a distinctive hum as it crossed over to VTEC. At first it was just a fraction of a second occasionally, but then as a few more laps passed it became more consistent and longer. Think the humming lasted for about 0,5-1 second before i really started to notice it and decided to head for the pit.

First thing i checked was the oil level, but it was still full. So i let the car cool down for a while, then went out again. Same thing happened again. Nothing at first, then a distinctive hum that became longer and longer the more i drove. On the straights it didn't make this humming sound, only during acceleration out of the corners, especially out of a sharp right hand bend. So again i headed for the pits, and checked the oil level, nothing had changed.

I talked to another guy at the track, running the same oil as me (castrol 5w-40) to see if he had any problems, but his car was fine.

So the rest of the day i kept my stints short, and headed for the pits as soon as my engine started to hum.......

But now to my theory of whats causing the problem. I've installed coilovers, and a front swaybar since my last trackday. This should result in faster cornering speed which equals more G-load on the car. This combined with high temperatures could result in low oilpressure causing the engine to not cross over to VTEC as it should. The ECU will still give the engine fuel as if it was in VTEC, causing the engine to not run properly.........

Yes i know this might be a bit far fetched, but it's the best i can come up with. Would be happy to hear any other opinions on this matter........
Old 08-03-2008, 12:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bump