S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine Knocking

Old 06-11-2006, 05:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Engine Knocking

Something is going on with my car right now. I need your guys help, those with expereince with knocking. The search engine is down. Waiting to find out what's the diagnosis on the engine is.

But I was out driving with the Air filter lid off to get that nice intake charge sound. Enjoy the day with my new Volks, top down cruising and I never once hit redline. I was shifting spiritedly at 5500 and at times 8000 rpms. I WOT'ed it many times to get the nice intake charge sound. I was in vtec and the car felt like it was bogging from air and it did that shake where it's sucking in hot air or something that would happen at stop lights from sucking in hot air. It did this when I was approaching 8000 rpms. I was like...wtf...and clutched in to save my engine. I was curious as to why it did this shake similar to a fuel cut off at redline, but AP1's redline at 9K so I was perplexed at why this happened and wanted to recreate this again. I put the engine back into the same scenario and tried to rev it through at about 7800 at WOT and it failed to allow me to go passed that, but in my attempts to find out why my engine started to make noise.

Here are the symptoms.

1. Knocking noise in engine.
( on the drive to drop the car off at the dealership, I think I was able to counter the knocking noise by pressing in the clutch and shifting to neutral and allow the car to coast as much as it could before I would engage it in gear again to get the car moving with the knocking noise)
2. There are no check engine lights on and nothings indicating any engine failure on the dash.

The car is at the dealership's parking lot waiting for Monday's morning shift to look at it. I started the car and it was knocking bad.

I filled in the drop off form and left my keys for them to check it out tomorrrow.

My car is a 2002 and has 41,000 miles. Had an Oil change and valve adjustment done at a Honda Dealership April 8th...(Ohio's Mod day). What options do I have given the worse case scenario?

Knocking can be felt near the pedals, I'm guessing it's the 4th piston. I love this car and I enjoy driving it within it's limits and if it's becauase of something I did wrong driving that caused it, I'll take full responsibility for fixing it, but I drove the car the way it was designed, high revs without ever going passed 9000 rpms and this happened. Did the spark plug timing fail or detenation happen due to WOT and having the Air Filter lid off?
Old 06-11-2006, 06:49 PM

Any news or any advice on how I can handle the situation in terms of recovering some cost in the repair for a new short block. Is there anything that Honda of Americia is aware of and honoring fixes for this occuring problem?
Old 06-11-2006, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you should wait to see what the problem is before you decide how to deal with it. Good luck.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:59 PM

^ I agree. What I'm saying is speculation, but manifested by investigation and observations of what I can make out from the symptoms. I will update tomorrow when I hear back from the dealership.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:06 PM

never heard knocking or detonation of an engine, is just literally a knock on door noise? Good ears if you can hear when your in VTEC.

with the air lid off you are sucking in hot air and losing HP but thats very not normal if you cant go to 9k...
Old 06-11-2006, 08:48 PM

Received 203 Likes on 140 Posts

You can feel it in the pedals? It goes away when you disengage the clutch? Fourth piston - are you kidding? It sounds like the clutch assembly needs to be oiled or some replacement parts; wait for the dealer to look at it.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:51 AM

Does sound more like a clutch problem...
Old 06-12-2006, 04:07 AM

I could be wrong but I don't think it's a clutch problem because I tried starting the car and I get this clankedly clank like noise coming from the engine like marbles moving around.

It's 8am east coast time, and the service department should be opening up. I'm at work awaiting their call. Hopefuly they begin diagnosis on my car soon because I'm dying to find out what it is.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:04 AM

I heard back from the dealership, they said I was low on oil and short about 3 quarts of oil. The engine is damaged and they asked if I want to pay for the labor of about 8 hours to tear down the engine and figure out what it is or save on this labor and have them look for a new engine.

I asked him if his manager can phone AHM and find out if Honda can do anything about this issue because from my research it is a problem as I've been driving this car and there was no check engine or oil light indicator on even after the damage.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:18 AM

I was just about to ask if you had checked your oil. Very unfortunate that you did not.

Quick Reply: Engine Knocking