S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine Knocking

Old 06-12-2006, 05:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I love this car and I've cared for it, scheduled oil changes and maintenance at the dealerships, it's brought alot of joy, but what happened with the oil was unintentially. For the whole time I've own this car, I have never experienced it burning any oil. If I was aware I would have done something and it's frusterating to find out that I'm in this situation.

I've checked the oil after the noise started, and the dip stick, funny as it is showed that it had oil...or maybe I didn't let it cool down enough, but either way my next destination was the dealership. Where they say it is low oil.

Throughout the whole time, no oil light or check engine came on.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:54 AM

I've been checking the oil on the S2000 regularly since I've owned it in worry that it may burn oil like my other cars and I have never experienced any burning oil on the S2000 for as long as I've own this car. I didn't know it could be this serious and so quick / surprising if it was low on oil. I had faith in the car being that it was Honda's flagship and it would hold up, from my experiences with other hondas Integra GSR, Civic, Accord all of which I've owned and cared for and lasted over 120,000 miles and I've done my own oil changes on them and they burned oil but still are ok.

Now my S2000 is damaged and throughout ownership of this car I have always taken it into a dealership for scheduled maintenance.

If it were low, it would have been helpful if I would be thrown a flag on the dash with a lite check engine light or oil low.

I'll update once I here back from the service manager to find out if there is anything that can be done to help. Cross my fingers.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It not revving up like it should is a big sign that its low on oil... I have seen other posts about that. When was the last time you had checked it?
Old 06-12-2006, 07:30 AM

April 8th I had service done at about 39K. Oil change, valve adjustment, fluid flushes. I have 41K now.

The service manager called back and said AHM won't help here because the car was low on oil.

He is going to price some engine parts together for me and see tally up the cost.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:32 AM

did you ever check your oil in that time?
Old 06-12-2006, 08:08 AM

Im sorry to hear that. If you have the extra money though you may want to consider building up the bottom end now for FI. Or maybe even go with a stroker kit and keep it na.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:25 AM
Former Sponsor

It dosn't really matter the length of time you did you last oil change, its how you drive your car during that time that really matters. If you "drive the car like it was ment to" meaning going into WOT and going into VTEC all the time, you will burn oil. (VTEC Burns oil) I believe it is stated in the owners manual to check your oil at every fill up, therefore Honda is aware that it burns oil and to warn its owners to be vigilant about oil consumption. Good luck with the repaire though, and to remember to always check your oill.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:57 AM

Well, I've contacted AHM and I have a Case number for this and should hear back by Wednesday.

I would like to be treated with honest customer service in regards to the situation I'm in. I purchased this car with Honda's reputation in mind and I hope they come through. This car is great, but if it was running on low oil, I'd like to know because I've check the dip stick many times and it did not show up low until it was too late. And after it was too late it still didn't illuminate the oil light or the check engine light.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:06 AM
Former Sponsor

The Oil light and Check Engine light would only turn on if there is already severe damange already present. So if you did see any of those lights on, it would be too late to do anything. Keeping up with the matience, meaning checking your oil at every gas fill up regularly (Since you did post you drove it WOT and into VTEC often in one day) is your responsability and not Honda's. It seems to me you are aware that the S2000's do eat oil, you just weren't aware if yours did, therefore you didn't check it often. Regardless, I do hope you get your car back in running shape.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:13 PM

do you feel power loss? does the sound increase with rpm? if you said yes to either of these then there is probably a problem machanically