S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine overheating from idling

Old 12-03-2003, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran a quick search but found nothing on this topic. So.....
I ran in side a friends house today and left the S outside running for about a half hour. I got side tracked and totally forgot she was running. The temp was in the 40's to low 50's. Well when I ran outside to see if she was okay, she was one bar from the red. So I thought I better go and drive her so she'll cool off. Well I backed her out of the driveway and started slowly down the street. I got two houses down and the red light came on in the temp gauge so I imediately stopped, turned her off, and popped the hood so she could cool down. Well she eventually cooled off to three bars so away I went. Thinking back now, 1.) I know better than to let a car idle because it's very, very damaging to an engine. 2.) I should have just turned her off right there to let her cool off. 3.) I should have turned the heater on to help cool her off.
My question is, do you guys think there might be any permanent damage to the F20c because of this stupidity? I haven't taken her past 4K since this happened this afternoon.
Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 12-03-2003, 08:44 PM
Former Moderator

Received 295 Likes on 274 Posts

You need to find out why the car overheated. This is not a normal - There are many posibilities why the engine ran hot. Such as a coolant leak, inoperative fans etc. Since youhave an 02 which most likely is under warranty, I suggest taking it to the dealer for diagnosis. As far as engine damage, it depends on how long the engine ran hot weather or not any occured. Running hot is still not good for it.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agreed...even for extended periods, the car shouldn't overheat, especially with that cold of temps outside. People are in gridlock traffic in 90 degree cities for a couple of hours without overheating, so yours shouldn't in 50 degree weather.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:20 PM

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts

You need to get your car checked out. A car does not overhead because of idling for 30 minutes. Driving it does not cool it down either.

At least it came back down to 3 bars, but I will still be concerned as to why it overheated in the first place...did you check your coolant level and your reserve coolant level?
Old 12-04-2003, 04:53 AM

No, I havent' checked the coolant or reserve levels. I will though. You guys think it might have something to do with the engine possibly being low on oil? My S does burn oil, about a quart and a half between oil changes (3K miles). I use Mobile 1.
Thanks for the help so far!
Old 12-04-2003, 02:59 PM

Received 78 Likes on 31 Posts

Here's my knowledge about the subject with car engines in general, not specifically with the F20C:

The engine has a thermostat that opens up when the coolant temperature in the engine reaches operating temperature. Once it opens up, then the coolant circulates through the radiator. A little higher in temp, and the cooling fans kick in.

The first thing you have to check out is whether the cooling fans were running when your car was overheating. If not, then there's your problem. If it's quiet, you can hear the engine kick in from the driver's seat. To be sure, pop the hood and see if they're running.

If you are low on coolant (and everything else works), then the coolant is only circulating through the bottom of the radiator, and doesn't have time to cool down enough. The result is eleveated temps on the gauge, but no engine damage.

Usually if the red light comes on, you should be spilling coolant from a boil-over. If you didn't boil over and you still have enough coolant in your radiator to prevent aspiration (sucking in air), then you did no damage.

Boil-overs occur in the engine block, and result in a sharp spike in temperatures. Typically if you catch it right away and turn your engine off, no damage occurs. But if you keep it running, kiss your engine good-bye.

Low oil (but still with oil pressure) will not cause the car to overheat but will contribute to the problem a little because the oil has to circulate through the engine more often with less time to cool down in the oilpan.

In your case Ron, it is likely that you were low on coolant, but there is a possiblilty that one of your fans wasn't kicking in. And if both of these things weren't the culprit, then I'd have your thermostat checked out. They're easy to check, but you have to remove it from the car to test it.
Old 12-05-2003, 05:26 AM

Thank you for that insiteful info Slalom44!
Old 12-05-2003, 05:39 AM

If the electric cooling fans are Ok and the coolant level is Ok, then check the radiator cap. It's supposed to maintain a proper pressure on the cooling system. It should be labeled with the pressure it's rated for. I'm guessing somewhere in the 12 to 15 lb level. Anyway, if the cap is not allowing the cooling system to run at it's designed pressure, you will have heating problems. If all of this checks out, the therostat is the next suspect in line I would think!

Just something else to check!

Good luck & Drive Safe,
Steve R.
Old 12-05-2003, 05:47 AM

I took my whole engine apart and then put it back together...that resolved my overheating issue j/k
Old 12-05-2003, 06:18 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jyeung528
Driving it does not cool it down either.

Quick Reply: Engine overheating from idling