S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engine Tapping noise (including video)

Old 04-13-2012, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Tapping noise (including video)

Hi guys, I've only recently bought my S2000 4 weeks ago from a very reputable non-honda main dealer in London, luckily 3 months warranty is included (although liability capped to £1k)
I've also just had the car serviced by Honda 3 weeks ago, Level 4 at £420!!

Yesterday this tapping noise has started coming from the engine, it sounds as if its coming from just beneath the rocker cover, after holding a screwdriver upto the rocker you can feel the tap strongest 3/4 the way up on the left side of the engine. Obviously the car will be sat up on my driveway till its fixed.

Performance isn't effected - theres no offbeat tickover etc. The noise changes tempo with rpm of the engine.

I know its difficult to diagnose by simply using a sound clip, has anyone come across this noise before? (Billman250?)

Excuse the poor rocker cover, assume a previous owner lived near the sea!

[media]http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bvyLEDa7Zc&context=C48a43deADvjVQa1PpcFNp 7_eUOg6exUf35y_OvxfZwtYluonLenE=[/media]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bvyL...fZwtYluonLenE=
Old 04-13-2012, 12:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your valve cover made me feel better about my engine bay thanks

sounds like a spun rod bearing to me.. If you really think its something underneath the valve cover pull it off and inspect (and do the valve lash while you are at it).. But sounds like a spun rod bearing like i said
Old 04-13-2012, 12:28 PM

I know it sounds obvious, but start by checking the oil level (on both sides of the dipstick). The noise seems to go from a light knock in the beginning of the video to more of a tapping/clacking noise later in the video. The knocking noise concerns me more because it could be rod knock. Did you take this video right after a cold or warm startup of the engine? Were the valves adjusted by the dealer? If the valves have not been adjusted previously, I would start there. Your timing chain tensioner could be going bad too... but in the video it doesn't really sound like the typical "card in spokes" noise than the TCT makes. What is the mileage on this car? BTW, that's the worst looking valve cover I've ever seen
Old 04-13-2012, 12:40 PM

LOL @ the valve cover - Its on my to-do list right after this is fixed and has been bugging me since I've bought it!

The car came with 3 months warranty which covers all internals, but only up to the value of £1,000. (I only purchased four weeks ago from a main dealer taken in p/x)

Oil checked and its actually over if anything, it only had a major service done at Honda 3 weeks ago!

It was on a cold start which may explain the different tone of noise, car has done just over 70k miles. I'm literally praying its the TCT as bottom end may well exceed the £1k warranty limit.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:14 PM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

they sold you what sounds like a broken motor to me, which will cost a lot more than 1000 pounds to fix.

sounds like a spun bearing...
Old 04-13-2012, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by JoshSimmons
LOL @ the valve cover - Its on my to-do list right after this is fixed and has been bugging me since I've bought it!

The car came with 3 months warranty which covers all internals, but only up to the value of £1,000. (I only purchased four weeks ago from a main dealer taken in p/x)

Oil checked and its actually over if anything, it only had a major service done at Honda 3 weeks ago!

It was on a cold start which may explain the different tone of noise, car has done just over 70k miles. I'm literally praying its the TCT as bottom end may well exceed the £1k warranty limit.
If you decide to replace the TCT, I would advise ordering one from Billman or InlinePro as a new one from Honda will likely fail again at some point. You could start by sand-blasting the worm gear inside of the TCT to see if that helps at all. However, the noise at the beginning of the video really sounds more like knocking, hopefully not rod knock. You may want to listen to some videos on youtube of rod knock and see if it sounds to you like what you are hearing coming from your car. With just over 70k miles, if the valves have not been adjusted I would check them ASAP. Many people have found that their valves needed adjusting as early as 20k-40k miles. Hopefully it's nothing serious, sometimes videos have a way of amplifying noises to make them sound worse than they actually are and the s2k tends to be a fairly noisy car in general.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:41 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Vids aren’t always easy to tell. But to me it sounds more like a top end tapping, like a very loose valve. I'd definitely check your valve clearances. Checking for any cracked retainers with a sunk valve would be a good idea as well wile you’re in there. Good luck

And wile you got that valve cover off, finish removing that paint (which looks like could be literally blown off with a air compressor lol) and polish that shit!
Old 04-13-2012, 02:05 PM

I'm not mechanically minded (I WISH I was) although I do understand a lot of the basics - I'm halfway through my uni dissertation atm so timing couldn't be worse!

Luckily I do have a friendly mechanic who will do the work.

It sounds a lot like tapping to me from the top end too, its definitely a metallic noise.

The rocker cover is gonna be refurbed as soon as this is sorted lol, I know its a disgrace!