S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Engline Light On: Error Code P0301, P0302, P0304

Old 09-05-2007, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engline Light On: Error Code P0301, P0302, P0304

Hi Everyone,
Really hoping for some help here.

Ok here we go,
I have a 2000 Honda s2000 with 64k on the clock.
Engine light has been on for weeks. The car is running fine with no obvious engine issues (i.e. no misfire, kangarooing, noises), only slight problem I have noticed is that when the engine is warm and you start the car, it almost stalls but after that it idles fine. If you rev it a bit when it's about to stall then it idles out fine, this is JUST when i start it when it's warm though. Apart from that she runs beautifully, V-tecs and runs perfect.

I first had it looked into at honda 2 weeks ago. They said the error code pointed to the spark plugs. They discovered the spark plugs were coated in some vaseline/silicon mixture, which they thought was odd. The plugs were changed by the previous owner about 5k ago you see by a non honda garage. They cleaned them up the best they could, reset the light and sent me on my way (
Old 09-05-2007, 03:10 PM

at around that mileage, i too was getting those error codes, along with the intermittent idle dip at startup and at stop signs. after replacing plugs, and doing the map whacks, it ended up being the valves. A local s2k guy adjusted the vavles and i haven't got those error codes since. that was about 20k miles ago.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:10 PM

Received 1,320 Likes on 800 Posts

See if the fuel trim reads lean or rich.

Then install new HONDA/NGK plugs from the dealer made for the s2k. AND torque them properly.

Re-check the fuel trim.

Were the valves ever touched? Hopefully not. s2ks come slighty loose from the factory, and if they were never adjusted they are 95% not causing the problem.

In other words, don't mess with them if they have never been done.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:26 PM

Thanks for the replies guys, really appreciate it.

I've just read in the service history that it was the 'Spark Plug Resistor' that was replaced. So not sure if that means the spark plugs were changed or not.

APFueled response:
Sorry for my ignorance APFueled, but what do you mean by Map Whacks? So you think I should askthe honda dealer to adjust the valves or can any mechanic do this for me?

Billman250 response:
Will the fuel trim reading, is this something for the honda garage to test? What should I look out for with the results of this test. So you recommend new HONDA/NGK spark plugs? I mentioned replacing the plugs to the honda garage and they seemed to dismiss this straight away for some reason. There's no mention of valves ever having been touched in the service history (pretty sure everything is logged in there).

Thanks so much guys, rapid, helpful response! hopefully we can get the bottom of it and that it's not anything serious! Thanks again.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:46 PM

Hi again,
Something else I've noticed about the car - didn't think of mentioning it until I read a post about Vacuum issues. When I turn off the ignition after a journey (my usual journey is 3 miles after work) I can hear a faint humming noise...kind of 5 secs of silence then 1-2 secs of humming, 5 seconds of silence then the humming again etc etc. Sounds like someone sighing or breathing I suppose! It's quite faint but I can hear in inside and outside. i can't detect exactly where it's coming from. It disappears eventually after about 2-3 minutes.
Would this be anything related? or am I just being ultra paranoid?
many thanks
Old 09-05-2007, 03:54 PM

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=209708

i think i would try Billman's suggestions first. I tried the valve adjustment only after trying suggestions posted from members like him.

I could not do the vavle adjustment on my own - it required removing the valve cover, and it seemed too much for me. the mechanic told me that some of my vavles were tight.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:35 PM

Received 1,320 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by APFueled,Sep 5 2007, 06:54 PM
the mechanic told me that some of my vavles were tight.
They were likely adjusted incorrectly before. In that case, a tight valve will definitely cause a misfire
Old 09-06-2007, 12:25 AM

Hi,

I havent had the valves checked or adjusted - that was APfuels post.

OK i've done the Map Whack technique (lightly tapped it and wiggled connector back in) and more symptoms have occured since!
Now the car stalls randomly whilst idle at taffic lights and when I put the clutch down. It cut out completely 4 times on the way to work - thats only 3 miles. It just quietly stalled and the battery/oil light came up. Next time it stalled just the oil light came up. I started it up and kept the revs high as to not let it stall. I was just about to drive it to the honda garage when it seemed to cure itself and the revs would idle out at 1k again. so I've parked up at work to get some advice from you guys. It still seems a little worse than before I tapped the MAP sensor, but not stalling at the lights anymore.

I reset the engine light before doing the MAP Whack and it hasnt come back on within 3.5 miles during all this mayhem. It normally comes on after about 6 miles when I do the reset. Sure it will come on in 2.5 miles!

UPDATE: Car is running normal again, no stalls at all. However 9 miles since i reset and the light has come on whilst sitting at the lights. Nothing obvious when it came on, all seemed normal.

What do you think I should do now? Still get the plugs changed to honda/ngk? and do fuel trim test?

Many thanks in advance.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:59 PM

Please is there anyone who can help me with some expert advice?
I would really appreciate it.
Many thanks