S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

EPS module failure theory

Old 05-03-2022, 05:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default EPS module failure theory

Just bought a pristine condition 2005 S2000 with 52,800 miles.
On the way home from South Carolina to Florida the EPS light came on and I lost power steering. It would intermittently re-set itself along the drive home when I shut the car off and then on again.
When I got home I pulled the EPS torque tube sensor thinking that maybe this was the problem. I pulled it apart and it was in like new condition inside and with what looked to be the appropriate amount of grease.
I tried re-setting the EPS which worked a few times but at some point the EPS light stayed on all the time with a #32 code.
The Honda Service Manual said at some point towards the end of troubleshooting to R&R the EPS module with a known good one so I had a used one shipped to me that had the same exact part number. I replaced the EPS module per the Service Manual and it fixed the problem.

The Honda Dealer parts guys said that my original 2005 EPS module would be one with a -02 code in the PN and the new replacement would have a -05 code. The PN on the one I removed from the car had a -05 code and I also noticed one of the 4 mounting bolts was different. This led me to believe that the EPS module was already replaced once. The other thing I noticed was that the EPS module had aluminum cooling fins to help dissipate the heat.
My theory of why these fail is because of their installed location sandwiched between the battery and the fender wall. This location would not allow very much air flow for cooling.
I’m wondering if perhaps I should purchase a spare?? Or if anyone else has had to replaced these several times??

Thoughts?
Old 05-04-2022, 07:14 AM

Received 1,142 Likes on 1,005 Posts

If notes here are representative of the S2000 in general the EPS module rarely fails. The need to reset is rare as well. (Hoping I didn't jinx mine.)

-- Chuck
Old 05-04-2022, 07:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a new owner that’s actually what I wanted to hear
Old 05-03-2023, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I wanted to point out two things you mentioned

Originally Posted by Shuttle Man
Just bought a pristine condition 2005 S2000 with 52,800 miles.
On the way home from South Carolina to Florida the EPS light came on and I lost power steering. It would intermittently re-set itself along the drive home when I shut the car off and then on again.
When I got home I pulled the EPS torque tube sensor thinking that maybe this was the problem. I pulled it apart and it was in like new condition inside and with what looked to be the appropriate amount of grease.
I tried re-setting the EPS which worked a few times but at some point the EPS light stayed on all the time with a #32 code.
The Honda Service Manual said at some point towards the end of troubleshooting to R&R the EPS module with a known good one so I had a used one shipped to me that had the same exact part number. I replaced the EPS module per the Service Manual and it fixed the problem.

The Honda Dealer parts guys said that my original 2005 EPS module would be one with a -02 code in the PN and the new replacement would have a -05 code. The PN on the one I removed from the car had a -05 code and I also noticed one of the 4 mounting bolts was different. This led me to believe that the EPS module was already replaced once. The other thing I noticed was that the EPS module had aluminum cooling fins to help dissipate the heat.
My theory of why these fail is because of their installed location sandwiched between the battery and the fender wall. This location would not allow very much air flow for cooling.
I’m wondering if perhaps I should purchase a spare?? Or if anyone else has had to replaced these several times??

Thoughts?
the first thing is that one of the mounting bolts is slightly different than the other 3. That’s how mine is and another friend of mine. The second thing is that the EPS modules do go out somewhat often. I actually just replaced my OEM one with a used one I found off of eBay and totally fixed my problem. Luckily the EPS module is the easiest component to replace! My EPS was acting very similar to yours.
Old 07-22-2023, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LandonL
the first thing is that one of the mounting bolts is slightly different than the other 3. That’s how mine is and another friend of mine. The second thing is that the EPS modules do go out somewhat often. I actually just replaced my OEM one with a used one I found off of eBay and totally fixed my problem. Luckily the EPS module is the easiest component to replace! My EPS was acting very similar to yours.
To replace the eps is it basically removing the battery, then the 4 mounting screws and unplugging three cables then plug in the cables to the new (used) eps unit then remount and replace the battery then "Memorizing the Torque Sensor Neutral Position?"

Thanks.