S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

evap and secondary air intake system

Old 12-21-2011, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default evap and secondary air intake system

hi all-some of you may recognise the username-for those who dont, Im in the middle of installing an s2000 engine into a westfield (caterham type car). As Im going to export the car to germany (I live there 7 months of year) I have to keep everything standard as far as evap and air secondary intake is concerned, otherwise it wont pass the very strict emissions over there. I originally only bought the engine and box from a breaker, but after learning what bits Im going to need I called them back and requested all wiring etc... the problem is I dont know the system well enough to quote every single part I need, and they dont know the setup well enough to know every part IM GOING TO NEED!!!
its a euorpean 2.0l 2005 version, think thats the same as the us one up to 2003..?
if anyone can either show me pics/diagrams or a list showing all the bits that make up the two systems, Id be forever indebted!

cheers
Old 12-21-2011, 01:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what's the emissions requirements like? how can they tell if it's not there if you don't have a CEL?
Old 12-21-2011, 01:26 PM

not to have cel's is the main goal. but they do start the "mot" equivelant with a visual check. that means checking air pump is there aswell as evap canister etc.
If i get the right examiner I might get away with it, as long as no cels. but tbh it cant be much work to just install it to be on safe side??? (or am i wrong?)

whats the minimum I need to install to simply avoid cels?
Old 12-22-2011, 04:34 AM

If the goal is no CEL, I think you'd need the whole evap system - canister, purge valves, etc. These systems are checked regularly by the computer and if they aren't there it will throw a code
Old 01-05-2012, 09:08 AM

want to fit the whole evap system, but am unsure what I need.
I managed to pick up the canister and filter with the connecting hoses. noticed on engine that the evap hose branches into two (like a "T" bar) with one going back to intake and the other feeding back to rear of car.
obviosly I didnt take the metal pipework off the s2000, so I dont have anything between that hose and the canister/filter in the rear. Is there anything else I need or missing?heard something about 2 way valves/purge valves----where are they, and do I have them?
as far as the secondary air system goes, Ive got the intake pipe and air filter,air pump and the vacuum thingy. no hoses tho... thinking that either pump or vacuum must feed to pipe near throttle body, and other feeds into the intake pipe? not sure tho.

if anyone could help me would be appreciated

cheers
Old 01-05-2012, 09:44 AM

Received 1,244 Likes on 759 Posts

some things you will need for air pump:

air pump control valve, originally mounted to stock air box with philips screw.

ELD (electrical load detector) mounted be hind drivers front fender

vac resovior, mounted to fram under the stock airbox

Almost seems easier to go to a salvage yard and pull all you need, or buy a wreck. you will need lots of harness and connectors and small important items. Even the brake pedal is linked to the ECU.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250
some things you will need for air pump:

air pump control valve, originally mounted to stock air box with philips screw.

ELD (electrical load detector) mounted be hind drivers front fender

vac resovior, mounted to fram under the stock airbox

Almost seems easier to go to a salvage yard and pull all you need, or buy a wreck. you will need lots of harness and connectors and small important items. Even the brake pedal is linked to the ECU.

think Ive got the air pump control valve reservoir (its the black box positioned near air pump?).
eld Im not sure about- is it integrated into the wiring?if so Ill have it, as Ive got the wiring loom from whole of car.
what sort of harnesses and conectors do you mean? do you mean fixings to chassis?or actual parts that play a role in system?
THE BRAKE PEDAL IS LINKED TO THE ECU!!!???SH1T
will this show up a mil then? if so how do I avoid it? know a bloke whose running this system in germany on his caterham and he never mentioned any issues with brake pedal..
Old 01-06-2012, 04:52 AM

I'm not sure if you will have any issues with the brake pedal. but I do know the ECU can see its on-off position.

I'm not sure what the ELD looks like. Check hondaautomotiveparts.com. They have all sorts of diagrams that will help you. The ELD is what senses air pump load to determine the state of the pump and plumbing.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:10 AM

think their website is down...
does anyone know what the eld looks like and where its located? pics would be great if possible?
cheers
Old 01-08-2012, 07:25 AM

Ive been having trouble accessing their site, but have figured out what to do. so do this

Search "majestic honda" in google. The first link that comes up will get you into the site. for some reason, going directly there doesnt work.

Quick Reply: evap and secondary air intake system