S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Everyone with the loose spark plug

Old 03-07-2006, 07:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kinetica,Mar 7 2006, 08:03 AM
A honda dealership changed my plugs in December when they installed my SC. I had started seeing smoke and heard a tapping sound so I checked the oil and plugs, oil was a little low but still on the XXX, but the 4th plug was finger tight and covered in oil. I brought it in the first time and they said the noise might be piston slap and to just monitor the car. I asked for a compression test, for him to pull the plugs and read them or scope the engine, and to adjust my valves, but he said none of that would matter.
The car got worse over the next couple days, so I started reading here and found lots of posts about the loose spark plug and 4th cylinder failure. Then they called honda tech line and they said there has never been a reported case that a loose spark plug caused engine damage. They determined that the SC (stock vortech) damaged the rings, causing the oil burn (without looking in the engine). I showed them the threads on here like this one: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...0&#entry7144031
I am not certain what the problem is, but neither is the dealer. They gave me their best guess, and the answer that will cover their a$$. They did seem willing to do something if I could find proof that the spark plug caused the damage.
you have all the proof you need. you need to start making some noise and working your way up the food chain. this dealership f*cked up, plain and simple. there is a TSB for this exact issue, yet they ignored it and pretended like it didn't exist.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know. That is why I am looking for documented proof that a loose spark plug will cause engine damage to an S2000. The TSB states that it will come loose and cause a misfire, but a misfire doesnt necassarily cause engine damage. The techs said they have had civics come in with the plug completely out of the head and no damage occured to the engine. The foreman agreed, and the service manager just said based on the facts presented and the call to the tech line that there is no proof that a loose plug could cause damage to my engine.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:27 AM

Does anyone have a contact at American Honda that might be able to help?
Old 03-07-2006, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by kinetica,Mar 7 2006, 11:05 AM
I know. That is why I am looking for documented proof that a loose spark plug will cause engine damage to an S2000. The TSB states that it will come loose and cause a misfire, but a misfire doesnt necassarily cause engine damage. The techs said they have had civics come in with the plug completely out of the head and no damage occured to the engine. The foreman agreed, and the service manager just said based on the facts presented and the call to the tech line that there is no proof that a loose plug could cause damage to my engine.
This is like asking for proof that water is wet. They're f*cking with you to get out of the fact that they screwed your car up.

They offered their own experience of some civic or whatever. And you gave them the exact same "proof" by pointing out users on this forum who HAVE had damage occur. But now your proof isn't good enough, but theirs is?

Dude, they are just f*cking with you. A loose sparkplug can cause damage. So can misfires.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:13 AM

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...0&#entry5527133

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...0&#entry5505087

http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1232005

http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1234226

http://www.autonews.com/defaultRegister.cms?newsId=2768

http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1234995
Q: What is misfire?
A misfire occurs when the spark is not strong enough to ignite the cylinder charge at the proper moment of the power stroke. A weak spark can be due to a fouled plug, defective coil, too much gap for the compression ratio, incorrect timing, leaking plug wires, cross firing plug wires, weak ignition module, etc.

Q: How important is proper spark plug installation torque?
Torque is the most critical part of installation. A spark plug can only transfer heat effectively when it is fully seated on the cylinder head. Under-torqued spark plugs will not seal and transfer heat effectively. Over-torquing can distort a spark plugs internal seals and cause poor heat transfer. A plug with poor heat transfer will allow cylinder temperatures to rise dramatically - eventually leading to detonation and plug or engine damage.
To ensure proper torque when installing spark plugs, clean the threads in the head and on the plug, use anti-seize sparingly, and don't guess - use a torque wrench.

Quoted from this link
http://dodgeram.info/Engine-Gas/Spar...s_plug_faq.htm

IGNITION WIRES NOT PROPERLY FITTED:
No proper engagement of the spark plug, distributor, and coil terminals
Old 03-07-2006, 09:18 AM

This is a lot of info. Kinetica, you should go though all of this info and compile the nesessary info that directly relates to your situation. If they still refuse to correct the situation, just contact American Honda and get the ball rolling.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by RACER,Mar 7 2006, 10:18 AM
This is a lot of info. Kinetica, you should go though all of this info and compile the nesessary info that directly relates to your situation. If they still refuse to correct the situation, just contact American Honda and get the ball rolling.
I brought my laptop with me, and read the parts of that post and the linked posts relating to my problem to them. They dismissed it as people in a forum expressing thier 'opinion' about what happened to thier cars. They kept the position that Honda Tech has never had a reported case of engine damage due to loose spark plugs. They did, however, accept that the results from a loose spark plug (misfires, fuel washing cylinders, detonation) could happen. But that it does not happen to the honda, never has, and that it was not the cause.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:47 AM

They are full of sh*t. They are honestly blatently lying to you, right to your face.

I just got off the phone with the service manager at the dealership that my friend is the GM.

He said first off, this was a RECALL. Not a TSB even. RECALLS are REACTIVE NOT PROACTIVE. That means that somewhere, an engine (or engines) got damaged because of a loosened spark plug, which in turn caused misfiring, which in turn caused damage. He said they are flat out lying to you.

I also talked to another friend of mine who is a honda tech, and he stated that he has seen an S2000 have damage due to a spark plug that came loose.

At this point, you should call Honda Customer Care. Tell them what is happening, and tell them the line of BS the dealership is trying to feed you. It's obvious they don't want to admit they f*cked up, so go over their heads and call Customer Care.

I, personally, have seen an S2000 block that was destroyed because a spark plug came loose, and the tip broke off and went into the cylinder. It scored the cylinder walls. This S2000 was AT A DEALERSHIP having the block replaced. And in fact, it was done for free since it was one of the S2000's that fell into the spark plug recall.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:51 AM

Hondamanwill, SlowS2k, and Pinkertonpunk are all members here who work for honda. Pinkertonpunk is actually the service manager at another dealership. Try asking any of them if they have seen such damage?
Old 03-07-2006, 01:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kinetica,Mar 7 2006, 09:03 AM
A honda dealership changed my plugs in December when they installed my SC...
Sounds like it's between you and the dealer...

Quick Reply: Everyone with the loose spark plug