S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Excessive AP1 Oil Consumption

Old 08-24-2020, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Excessive AP1 Oil Consumption

Hi, All! My MY'03 AP1 has been burning a nutty amount of oil, wondering if it's time for a rebuild or at the very least a ring-job.
It has just under 200k miles and I did an oil change on it at about half a tank of gas ago with Amsoil 5W-30. Well, I went to fill up today and checked the oil, it was well below the L so I figure I must be about 2Qts low (after checking it cold, it was only about half of a quart).

I did a compression test when I bought it (A little under a year ago) and got 200-180-180-185, so not stellar but passing considering the mileage.
I have the stuff to do the supra PCV mod, and valve stem seals which I plan to do soon, but I wonder how much (if any) difference they'll make. I VTEC just about every chance I get, as you can imagine.

So bottom line for me is if the PCV + valve seals don't fix it, is my only option to pull the engine and do the rings + hone cylinders? I know I've read if you just do the rings and don't hone the cylinders the rings won't seat well and the problem could be even worse.
Thanks for any advice in advance!

Last edited by rakkzi; 09-10-2020 at 12:25 AM.
Old 08-24-2020, 01:53 PM

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts

Don't just go pull the engine off and apart. , do a compression and leak down test before anything.
The following users liked this post:
rpg51 (08-24-2020)
Old 08-24-2020, 02:32 PM

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Yes, do a proper leak down test to see where you are losing compression.

You could have a ton of blowby going past your rings or you could have valves out of adjustment severely and need the valve seat machined.

I would start with the PCV just to get a decent base line. Then before you do the Valve Stem seals, do the leak down test. If you hear more air coming from your dipstick tube then it's most likely all in the rings.

There are some liquids that can "help" the rings get back into place but I have not seen good results but on a handful or Ford Modular V8s and a few 2011 Coyotes so your milage may vary.

I'm having my valve seals replaced when doing the intake valve retainers just for the peace of mind and the "while I'm in there" of it.
Old 08-25-2020, 05:32 AM

Received 1,479 Likes on 993 Posts

Originally Posted by rakkzi
Hi, All! My MY'03 AP1 has been burning a nutty amount of oil, wondering if it's time for a rebuild or at the very least a ring-job.
It has just under 200k miles and I did an oil change on it at about half a tank of gas ago with Amsoil 5W-30. Well, I went to fill up today and checked the oil, it was well below the L so I figure I must be about 2Qts low (I'm gonna re-check and top it up tomorrow) which seems really excessive to me.
I did a compression test when I bought it (A little under a year ago) and got 200-180-180-185, so not stellar but passing considering the mileage.
I have the stuff to do the supra PCV mod, and valve stem seals which I plan to do soon, but I wonder how much (if any) difference they'll make. I VTEC just about every chance I get, as you can imagine.

So bottom line for me is if the PCV + valve seals don't fix it, is my only option to pull the engine and do the rings + hone cylinders? I know I've read if you just do the rings and don't hone the cylinders the rings won't seat well and the problem could be even worse.
Thanks for any advice in advance!
Has the oil usage gone up, a lot, over the last year? Or did the car always burn a certain amount. Then, just recently dropped 2 quarts?

Thanks!
Old 08-25-2020, 07:40 AM

Received 1,302 Likes on 977 Posts

You're assuming the gas station parking lot is level.

And how much time did you allow for the oil to drip back into the pan.

Are you sure it was all the way full before?

If you were burning 1 or 2 qts in ~100 miles, your car would drive down the street looking like a smoke machine

You could fog for mosquitoes.

So you're probably not burning that much oil without some visible evidence, as well as the smell of burning oil.

I doubt you're really burning that much oil.

try your valve seals and PCV first. Hope you're using Honda seals and not aftermarket.

No, its not going to work to do a bottom end rebuild. If anything, it'll just be worse.

Buy a known good, factory built longblock from a part out.

sell yours to someone that wants to iron sleeve it.

Last edited by B serious; 08-25-2020 at 07:47 AM.
The following users liked this post:
rpg51 (08-25-2020)
Old 08-25-2020, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by B serious
You're assuming the gas station parking lot is level.

And how much time did you allow for the oil to drip back into the pan.

Are you sure it was all the way full before?

So you're probably not burning that much oil without some visible evidence, as well as the smell of burning oil.

try your valve seals and PCV first. Hope you're using Honda seals and not aftermarket.
I checked it when I got back to the garage which I know is level and it was still that low.
I checked it while it was still warm, haven't been out to look since it's cooled but I'll update once I do.
I can smell oil but it's not fogging excessively.
I'm 100% sure it was full before, I added 5q exactly and double checked the dipstick after the change and it confirmed it was full.
It's not leaving a huge puddle of oil so I figure it has to be burning it, unless it's hiding it somewhere I don't know about.
I'm going to be putting in new OEM valve stem seals and PCV asap, I'll update once I do as well.

Has the oil usage gone up, a lot, over the last year? Or did the car always burn a certain amount. Then, just recently dropped 2 quarts?
I don't have any exact numbers but it was really excessive prior to the oil change. I don't think it was 2 quarts in 100 miles bad, but it wasn't good.

I would start with the PCV just to get a decent base line. Then before you do the Valve Stem seals, do the leak down test. If you hear more air coming from your dipstick tube then it's most likely all in the rings.
Yeah I'm gonna try and do the leakdown this week, If the leakdown shows it being ring blowby, would it not just make sense to put new rings on and hone the cylinders? I'd really prefer to avoid having to buy a new block..

Old 08-25-2020, 09:58 PM

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

Here is a very good post on oil use
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un...ntoms-1188455/
Check all what he did and if you don't have a '04, '05 valve cover you might try that too with a TSX pcv.

Rod
Old 08-25-2020, 11:17 PM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

did you actually check the oil level after the oil change? 5 quarts doesn't take me to full on my s2000
Old 08-26-2020, 08:41 AM

Okay, so I checked it after it's cooled off and it was only down about 2 or 3 hash marks. Which, while a relief, also makes me feel a bit silly. If I did my math right that means I'm burning a quart every 500 miles, which is still kinda a lot, but not as bad as I thought it was. I'm still going to go ahead and do the pcv + leak down + valve seals and see if that helps at all.
Old 08-26-2020, 09:22 AM
Community Organizer

Received 552 Likes on 504 Posts

In my experience its typical you get usage out of both the rings and the valve seals/guides both. Considering the alternative and how much oil you are burning which is a ton at 1q/500 miles, its probably worth doing the valve seals and hope that takes care of at least a good portion of it and hope the guides aren't too worn because that will require a head pull or more invested to do, which may not be worth it if you discover after seals that nothing has changed, meaning majority is rings. You don't have to pull then head to do the seals, so its one of the more lenient ways to deal with oil burning shy of engine rebuild (or replacement typically in the S2000 case).

Last edited by s2000Junky; 08-26-2020 at 09:31 AM.

Quick Reply: Excessive AP1 Oil Consumption