S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Extremely odd issue after extended projects - 2 years

Old 09-21-2022, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extremely odd issue after extended projects - 2 years

Hey guys, hoping to get some ideas on an extremely odd issue I can't figure out - here's the important facts
- car sat for about 2 years now for maintenance and turbo kit - but ran perfect before it was put back together
- Pulled the engine and everything in the engine bay for a full bay respray
- Has a greddy turbo kit installed with a KPRO v4 - Ballade no sensor swap harness ( tried two of them) but also issue happens on stock ECU and no harness
-While the engine was out, did the usual stuff, valve adjustment , installed a oil baffle plate, revised oil squirters, new clutch, PP, flywheel

Main issue : Car will only start maybe 1 out of every 20 times, but when it does start it idles fine and everything seems okay, the tune is obviously crap on the kpro since it's not tuned yet but this happens as well with the stock ECU and injectors.
Sometimes when the car cranks and starts up, it does run for a second and dies, but the injectors still run and the fuel pump is still running , could be a hint ?
Most of the time it's a crank / no start situation

So far I've:

Verified the grounds are connected - G101 behind the head, and the 2 at the driver underneath
Tried factory injectors , Map sensor and ECU - Happens with both RC550's and stock injectors
Checked plugs (were new) and coil pack resistance
Checked crank position and cam sensors
checked map sensors - both with stock map and hondata 4 bar map
Timing is 100% good

Here's a video of what's going on -

Most of the time it's the crank no start -

Things to do: it doesnt seem like it would be the issue but I'll be installing a fuel pressure gauge into the fuel rail so im able to see if it's a pressure issue but doesnt seem like it. What else can I check? Car is not throwing a CEL either

Last edited by qtfsniper; 09-21-2022 at 03:48 PM. Reason: details
Old 09-22-2022, 05:46 AM

Received 1,346 Likes on 1,013 Posts

My go to first troubleshooting step for no start is Starting Fluid. Rule out fuel issues easily.

If it reliably fires up with starting fluid, its a confirmed fuel delivery issue.

If it won't start any more reliably than otherwise when you use plenty of starting fluid, its not a fuel issue.
Old 09-22-2022, 10:02 AM

Received 1,283 Likes on 964 Posts

Did you mix up the TPS and MAP plugs?
Old 09-22-2022, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by B serious
Did you mix up the TPS and MAP plugs?
Unfortunately not, When it does start up the rare times everything seems to be okay and smooth. The Kpro itself also shows the correct throttle position and MAP sensor readings with 2 different sensors.
Old 09-22-2022, 12:43 PM

Received 433 Likes on 368 Posts

Could you share a log and the calibration you are using, I can check if there is anything weird.
Old 09-25-2022, 11:30 AM

Received 93 Likes on 52 Posts

Fuel status? is it old fuel or has it been drained and refilled?
Old 09-25-2022, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by fatjoe10
Fuel status? is it old fuel or has it been drained and refilled?
good question , didn’t drain the tank but when the car was finished the tank was on E and I filled it up with a fresh tank of 93.

Installed the pressure gauge today and it’s holding pressure on prime at about 43 but when the car starts and dies it goes to 35 - probably is okay.

this is what it currently does

Old 09-25-2022, 06:30 PM

Oh, it sat on E? Maybe rusted fuel tank, and its contaminating fuel clogging fuel sock filter.

Proper extended storage is full tank woth fuel stabilizer added.

My prediction, it starts reliably if Starting Fluid used. Can even keep it going if keep spraying once it starts. Proves fuel delivery issue. Then deep dive on fuel discovers clogged fuel sock or fuel lines.
Old 09-25-2022, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Oh, it sat on E? Maybe rusted fuel tank, and its contaminating fuel clogging fuel sock filter.

Proper extended storage is full tank woth fuel stabilizer added.
understood , and it’s something that may need to be checked out but for now it does seem to be flowing fuel well, using the feed line as a test. In kpro I’m able to constantly run the fuel pump as well as at all times instead of just the prime cycle and it appears to be holding pressure.

next steps on my end are to just make sure all of the wiring is undamaged in the loom going into the cabin and ordered a replacement pgm-fi relay although it is most likely not the issue.
Old 09-26-2022, 03:17 PM

Starting Fluid, Starting Fluid, Starting Fluid

Quick Reply: Extremely odd issue after extended projects - 2 years