S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

F22 gurus?

Old 05-09-2015, 05:05 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default F22 gurus?

I've found a suitable candidate for a F22 swap for my celica. I know f20's like the back of my hand but I have a couple of questions for you F22 gurus.

The swap I'm looking at is from an 06+ so it's drive by wire. Which is kind of appealing because down the road I can go with a flashpro for fairly little cost if I want. It has 45,000 on the clock and comes complete with ECU/wiring/transmission/intake/complete front drive/header.

I wanted to go with a F22 for the extra torque considering this car will and always will stay NA, and most likely stock. Anyways my questions:

What would be involved with setting up throttle by wire? This would be new to me. Obviously a pro is I don't have to run and rig up a throttle cable. Down side is I would have to find a gas pedal from a 06+ to pair with this? Or is there an alternate solution?

Hooking up an OBD 2 port I assume would be as simple as wiring one into the ECU?

Would you require the original ignition to be paired with the original ECU? Or would any s2k ignition work? Or even easier could I keep my toyota ignition and mate that with it? Just not sure if the key is chipped or whatever to be paired with the ECU. If it is chipped is there a way around this with OEM ECU?
Old 05-09-2015, 06:01 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

You will need the 06+ F22c, engine harness,pedals, complete intake manifold, gauge cluster, srs system, and ecu...I'm probably forgetting somethings but you want most components controlled by the ecu that flash pro will not be able to disable.
Old 05-09-2015, 12:03 PM

Whoops I forgot to mention that this is a JDM ECU, and to my understanding they do not have immobilizers. If there is no immobilizer could I not use the 71 toyota ignition spliced to the correct pics of a s2000 under dash harness and plug into the ECU. It would be best for me to keep the interior as OEM looking as possible... AKA doing it the hard way

I am fairly certain you do not need to have SRS for it to work. Gauge cluster, I'm certainly not opposed to finding a s2k cluster, but analog guages would be pretty sweet too.
Old 05-09-2015, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by blixhavn
Whoops I forgot to mention that this is a JDM ECU, and to my understanding they do not have immobilizers. If there is no immobilizer could I not use the 71 toyota ignition spliced to the correct pics of a s2000 under dash harness and plug into the ECU. It would be best for me to keep the interior as OEM looking as possible... AKA doing it the hard way

I am fairly certain you do not need to have SRS for it to work. Gauge cluster, I'm certainly not opposed to finding a s2k cluster, but analog guages would be pretty sweet too.
Welp, seems you got it all figured out. I didn't know the JDM ecu had capabilities of silencing a srs light...
Old 05-09-2015, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by JUSTINTHECOASTIE
Originally Posted by blixhavn' timestamp='1431201836' post='23607190

Welp, seems you got it all figured out. I didn't know the JDM ecu had capabilities of silencing a srs light...
I'm just making an educated guess. Hoping someone could confirm though.
You're probably right, it wouldn't silence the SRS light. I thought you were just meaning that it wouldn't work without the SRS system and guage cluster. I was like I'm not putting airbags in a 71 celica lol.
Old 05-09-2015, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by blixhavn
Originally Posted by JUSTINTHECOASTIE' timestamp='1431203990' post='23607206
[quote name='blixhavn' timestamp='1431201836' post='23607190']

I'm just making an educated guess. Hoping someone could confirm though.
You're probably right, it wouldn't silence the SRS light. I thought you were just meaning that it wouldn't work without the SRS system and guage cluster. I was like I'm not putting airbags in a 71 celica lol.
[/quote]
Lol. I was just pointing out something that wouldn't cause it not to work, more so annoy me if I did this project For it to work, 2006 ecu with 2006 harness, DBW throttle body, DBW controller, DBW throttle pedal, and of course the 06 F22c. Now, your immobilizer issue will be just that an issue. I do not believe Flashpro allows this, and I've heard about ways to bypass the JDM immobilizer but I wouldn't try it unless I knew it wasn't gonna turn into a hack job.
Old 05-09-2015, 06:39 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The 06+ throttle pedal is the same. You'll need the cable and throttle controller that mounts by the shock tower.

The cluster for the o6+ is can bus so I'm not sure how you'd make that work.
Old 05-09-2015, 07:31 PM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

imo You'd be better off getting a standalone
Old 05-10-2015, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by wadzii
The 06+ throttle pedal is the same. You'll need the cable and throttle controller that mounts by the shock tower.

The cluster for the o6+ is can bus so I'm not sure how you'd make that work.
Good info, thanks wadzii. Sounds like I should start looking for 00-05 instead lol.

Originally Posted by afzan
imo You'd be better off getting a standalone
That probably is the way to go, I was just trying to cut corners on cost if I could.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:58 PM

Really all you need is a 00-05 intake manifold, harness, and then change out the valve cover, exhaust cam trigger wheel, cam sensors, crank sensor, and crank trigger wheel and then you could run AEM or a 04-05 ECU. The head is essentially the same, it just doesn't have the holes drilled for the secondary air injection system which you can easily bypass with AEM or run a simulator (izze racing) if using an 04-05 ECU.

And honestly, you could probably sell off the 06+ intake manifold, valve cover, sensors, etc. for more than what it'll cost you for the 00-05 stuff.

Quick Reply: F22 gurus?