S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Factory Oil changed by previous owner at 1400 mile

Old 04-17-2006, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory Oil changed by previous owner at 1400 mile

I just bought a used '05 S2K with 1,428 miles from a Toyota Dealership. It looks like they changed out the factory oil as part of their "certification" process. I didn't think of this as a problem until reading some of the engine oil threads in this forum. I dropped by my local Honda dealership today and asked a service advisor about it and received an "Ewww... That's not good..." and now I'm a little freaked out that I'll have oil consumption problems down the road. I bought the car out of state and have already put ~900 miles on it (drove it home) with the non-factory oil. On the bright side, the factory oil did sit in the car for about 13 months before it was changed, so it was probably degraded which makes me feel a little better about the change. I'm guessing that they didn't use synthetic oil for the change, so I should be okay from that standpoint.

I'm looking for advice on what to do at this point, as well as information on what damage may have already been done, or whether I should just relax and enjoy the car.

Thanks,
-Joe
Old 04-17-2006, 04:34 PM

If you feel unconfortable about unkown oil quality in you engine, you can do one of these two options:

1. Buy one 15 oz bottle of Valvoline Synpower Oil Treament for about $4.50 to add to your current oil. This VSOT contains very high amount of Moly to increase moly count in your oil to mimic factory filled oil.

2. Change your current oil to conventional Havoline GF4/SM and add 1 bottle of VSOT to have similar amount of moly as in factory filled oil. Don't forget to use Honda PCX filter.

The second option costs you about $15 more than the first option, but it is safer.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are fine, people take this "break-in oil" stuff way too far and seriously. My personal opinion is to drive the car, have fun with it, and never think about this again. It is a very good thing the Toyota dealership did change the oil since it was 13 months old, that is 7 months too long for conventional oil. I am sure I'll get flamed for this post....oh well.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:11 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would change it yourself now just for the peace of mind.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:33 PM

Thanks for the advice and peace of mind! I think I'll change out the oil tomorrow with the Havoline and add the VSOT - Can't be too careful. As for my first 3 days with the car, I absolutely love it!
Old 04-17-2006, 09:21 PM

I've got 2000 miles on my '04 I just bought, and it was still on it's original "break-in" oil. I took the car to the local dealer last weekend and they agreed that because of the age of the oil it was time to change it. I wouldn't worry about it. Sometimes people get a little loony over the topic of engine oil.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:02 AM

check it

Old 04-18-2006, 05:25 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

the factory oil was in over a year. That fact alone would cause me not to worry.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the factory oil needed to be changed since you reached the time interval. just make sure you use conventional (no synthetic!) until at least 7500 miles. also, TR-S2K gave you the best advice of anyone in this thread. use the VSOT he recommended, as molybdenum helps the engine break in properly. this is fairly important actually.

an engine will never run hotter during the course of normal operation than when it's breaking in over that 7500 miles. the moly helps address this, and also helps "smooth out" the surfaces inside the engine, and even forms a "moly" layer which eventually stays inside the engine and protects for a long long time once you change out to regular oils that don't have such a high moly count.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

read more about it here

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/moly.html

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/moly1.html

Quick Reply: Factory Oil changed by previous owner at 1400 mile