S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Favorite torque wrench?

Old 02-03-2018, 03:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default .

Old 02-03-2018, 03:56 PM

Received 65 Likes on 57 Posts

Big fan of Tekton products.
Amazon Amazon
Old 02-03-2018, 04:46 PM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

My old Snap-On "clicker."

Old 02-03-2018, 05:00 PM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

I've had great success with my Craftsman torque wrenches, never snapped a bolt with them , though I have experienced what you describe with cheaper wrenches. I bought my Craftsman wrenches when they were still made in the USA. The best made tools are always made in the USA IMO, though I realize that they are near impossible to find anymore or people don't want to spend a large amount of money on a torque wrench. Mine should last me for life. Buy the highest quality torque wrench that you can afford , as there is nothing worse than the feeling of snapping a bolt with a bad torque wrench.

That is really odd that you would snap a pcv valve with a 3/8th's torque wrench unless the wrench has a really wide range on it like 0-150 ft lbs ? It must have been a very inaccurate wrench to do that.

With a pcv valve you can do it without a torque wrench, it is much like doing an oil pan bolt, just tighten it until you feel the gasket compress when it is snugged up, you can do it by feel rather than using a torque wrench.

It is always good to own a 3/8ths drive (0-24 ft lbs), and a 1/2 inch drive( 20-200) , they will last longer and be more accurate than trying to use one that goes 0-200 ft lbs. Use the size of wrench that is most appropriate, Also when using a torque wrench on smaller sized bolts tighten them in small stroke increments, back and forth and you should feel it click off accurately, taking longer strokes can sometimes cause them to be less accurate or you loose sensation in the click-off. Lastly, always dial down your wrench after each use, they will last longer that way.

Last edited by zeroptzero; 02-03-2018 at 05:09 PM.
Old 02-03-2018, 05:47 PM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

Originally Posted by isthisusernameavailable
Thank you for the recommendation and tips, especially about the small stroke increments, and separate wrenches to cover a wider range more accurately.

The range on this Duralast wrench is 5-80 ft lbs.
Double-checked the torque spec in the S2000 service manual from Honda… could be a typo, but 33 ft lbs is the spec for the PCV valve in my edition. I didn't feel any click off, but maybe would have with smaller strokes, or warmer weather, not sure.

I'll go by hand as you suggest for the replacement valve! (:
That should work fine as it isn't a critical bolt, as long as it is snug you will be good, good luck with the new part.
Old 02-03-2018, 05:49 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Second the need for a "low torque" and "high torque" range. I've got an older Craftsman which I paid good money for which goes up to 22 ft/lbs and then a Harbor Freight 1/2" for the bigger bolts and second that a bit of common sense does need to be applied when using these things. My father in law had a 3/8" harbor freight with a wide range and he snapped several bolts with....took a while but have finally convinced him it was bad.

Not sure what the status is of Craftsman these days, if buying again today for my "low torque" wrench I'd spend some money as that tends to be used in sensitive areas such as water pumps, spark plugs, etc... I also have one of these style as a backup:

Craftsman Beam Torque Wrench (00932999) - Socket Sets - Ace Hardware

Use it in some instances. Good luck
Old 02-03-2018, 06:19 PM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

I have a 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" Tekton wrenchs. Covers all I need. They seem to be decent wrenches.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:49 AM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts

You want a "fool proof" wrench get a digital one, you can't beat the precision of a load cell. Then there's the common sense stuff. Torque rating assumes several things, clean threads, no rust or dirt on the mating surface, that the bolt is in good shape etc. A slightly stretched bolt will perform different than a new one. All these things have to be taken into account, manufacturers use a specified torque for ideal conditions, the torque creates a tension between the parts being fastened. Experience teaches you what tension is enough, a torque wrench is a tool to help you achieve that tension, but like most science, assumes a lot of variables that nature may not agree with.

For example for installing head bolts on this engine, the instructions say to make sure the threads are clean, that the bolts are oiled, etc, all to erase as many confounding variables as possible.
Old 02-04-2018, 11:17 AM

Received 107 Likes on 102 Posts

CDI

They make the torque wrenches for Snap-On (and Mac too?); but, at a fraction of the price. Kinda like getting a Snap-On torque wrench at-cost or direct.
Old 02-04-2018, 12:52 PM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

For some jobs torque is really important (installing a head for example). For much jobs you can do it by feel in my opinion. I think these inexpensive wrenches I have are perfectly adequate and for someone who only needs a torque wrench occasionally they suffice.

Quick Reply: Favorite torque wrench?