S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

First major turbo issue - clutch slipping.

Old 04-27-2002, 08:40 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The sprung puck clutch is a compromise.. it has the high friction pucks, and the cushion of a sprung hub. As I recall the OEM disks have four springs while the Star stage 3 disk has six springs and four pucks per side.

Watching people drive my car I can say that not all have the patience or feel for the grabby engagement of the Star stage 3 unit, but I have adjusted and know it will not slip like those with the material that offers smoother engagement.

9000 rpm shifts are very hard on a clutch, especially one as small as ours, so this is a tough application and few compromises can make all happy.
Old 04-27-2002, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sprung clutch can have different number of springs.
i have star stage 3 with light PP. i requested carbon fiber pucks, when delivered, looked like typical
semi-metallic, sintered copper. i sent photos to them and talked to them directly and they reassured me it was carbon fiber.

i installed anyway, but they LIED to me or don't know what they are talking about, as i have looked into this and other knowlegeble people have confirmed.

star clutchs work but are old tech....they hold at expense of driveline trauma. sprung hubs are old and unsophisticated cushioning technique........higher tech friction materials such as carbon fiber or other should be pursued.

i'm looking into a Centerforce custom made "dual puck" both surfaces(as opposed to their dual friction{carbon puck/organic disc}) carbon fiber sprung clutch, but still researching. i also have lightened flywheel interaction to consider.

anyway ,once u get the big hp (>400) u are relatively committed to an aggressive clutch to simply hold the power, therefore u will need to strengthen the associated driveline or it will break or wear rapidly. if that wasn't the case, then F1 ,CART/IRL and other big hp race cars wouldn't stall leaving the pit driven by experienced pros!!!
Old 05-01-2002, 11:50 AM

*bump*

What about bronze? I'm thinking of a bronze on bronze ACT stage 4 clutch. It might be a little grabby but I need it to hold the power.

Is it worth the extra few hundred bucks (MORE) to get a carbon fiber and bronze hybrid?
Old 05-01-2002, 01:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

carbon and carbon fiber are two different things.
personally, I wouldn't go the ACT route. but always up for a discussion Chris. give me a ring and I can see if I can supply you with something that will work for your needs: Randy - 512.947.1729
Old 05-06-2002, 03:08 PM

Hey Guys,

In answer to the Who Owns Speedcraft question, the answer is Todd does. As for the UNREASONABLE amount of time for us to get the turbo kits out that were ordered as far back as Jan. 7 th. We really wern't BS'ing anyone. Turbonetics gave us more bulls_it reasons why they didn't have turbos. First it was backing plates, then it was compressor wheels, then it was backing plates again. After a month or two it became aparent that it depended on who we talked to as to what excuse they had. Finally I began to climb the chain of command, and was passed off to the Service manager over there, I think her name was Kathy. She seemed to be real nice.. a good ass kisser but NO TURBOS arrived, and we were back to the same excuses. Finally on 4/4/02 I began talking to Mark Dillion (I think he's the plant manager) Finally we hit pay dirt. I stressed to him that we had to have a minimum of two turbo units by 4/30/02. One for an install on chris bender's car that had been scheduled here on 4/30/02 and the other for Eric Chen (Our order on 1/7/02) Well he came trough. We recieved all 6 of the turbos plus another 5 units for us to keep here in stock. That being said Mr. Benders car has come and gone, and the rest of the kits are going trough our QA department and will begin shipping kits by the end of this week 5/11/02. (By the way just because we are a company, dosen't mean that other companies wont lie to us or not get us the things we need in a timely manner) Well I hope this sheads a bit of light on whats up with us!

Thanks,

Todd M.
Old 05-06-2002, 03:23 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SpeedCraft Crew
[B]Hey Guys,

In answer to the Who Owns Speedcraft question,
Old 05-07-2002, 07:43 AM

ChrisD, The only clutch I know of that would geniunely handle that sort of power is the OS Giken twin plate. I have an OS twin plate in my Civic and love it. The kit for the S2000 comes with a mechanism to convert it to a push clutch. It's a nice setup.
Old 05-29-2002, 09:45 AM

Value is very much a matter of personal perception. While the Speedcraft kit isn't cheap, it's a top-end product, and I have to credit Todd and his staff for doing a first-class job on the installation and standing behind their work. If satisfaction is proof of money well spent, then I've no complaints about the cost. It's a whole new world...
Old 05-29-2002, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by Wesmaster
Get a pucked clutch.
Not sure about that. If your planning on using the S as a street car and pucked clutch will drive you mad. I hear star has reliable ones.
Old 05-29-2002, 01:06 PM

Chris... you know that when you replace your clutch with a stronger one it's only a matter of time before other things go... I'm thinking differential. Also... call Todd and ask him about the Clutchmaster clutch. I personally don't care for the ACT's ... had problems with them in my Eclipse until I went with the Clutchmasters. Todd has (or had) a pretty good relationship with the owner and should be able to hook you up.

Quick Reply: First major turbo issue - clutch slipping.