S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Flashing CEL during prolonged VTEC use (3rd gear+)

Old 06-13-2018, 09:12 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

I hope its solved. Keep us posted.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:41 AM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by ericmdub92
Haha yeah I am of this mindset, I'm pretty sure that it was my valves and based on the fact that it was the only thing I changed since my last unsuccessful test I'm going to assume, with confidence, that it was indeed because of my valve adjustment.

I am a complete novice to working on my car (I could barely knock out an oil change 9 months ago) and this is my first time doing a valve adjustment. Unfortunately I wasn't very bright and didn't measure the clearances before retainer/keeper upgrading&re-adjusting. That being said, @rpg51, my valves were definitely too tight - .007 only moved freely in 1 of 8 intake valves and .009 only moved freely in 1 of 8 exhaust valves.

Again I have zero feeler gauge proficiency, this is my second time adjusting the valves and I didn't really have a good "reference" to use as a starting point since I didn't really pay attention to the original clearances. While attempting to loosen everything up my dad and i bickered back and forth - he said that the valves were too loose (and he was right, he has some feeler gauge experience from valve adjusting lawnmower engines 40 years ago) but i told him id rather be on the loose side than tight...

again the only difference between the last failed test and last night's successful test was the completion of the valve adjustment. i did not do anything else (ignored spark plugs, replaced all coil packs where they were, etc).
You got it man. It's all part of the process. I was a Honda Engine Quality Engineering Intern once upon a time....I messed up valve adjustments on durability cars and had to redo them if that makes you feel any better. Gotta learn somehow.
The following users liked this post:
ericmdub92 (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 06:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well unfortunately it looks like rpg51 is right and it wasn’t the valves. Re adjusted a bit better (finally confident in what I’m doing) and went for a long test run, ran into the P1399 again

not sure what to do at this point... I guess a compression test? Could it be faulty coil packs? The issue is I’m not getting an individual cylinder misfire code though so I’d be hard pressed to believe all 4 packs are failing?
Old 06-13-2018, 08:57 PM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

I don't know if you are using "bent" feeler gauges as opposed to the straight ones, but you really should use those. You can play with them to get the correct angle to minimize drag and get an accurate reading.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
I don't know if you are using "bent" feeler gauges as opposed to the straight ones, but you really should use those. You can play with them to get the correct angle to minimize drag and get an accurate reading.
I am using bent feeler gauges and I'm pretty sure my adjustment is not the issue at this point. I watched a ton of videos and read a lot of guides so I could understand the drag sensation that I was supposed to be aiming for. Also this is my 3rd time in the last month doing it (2nd time in the last week) and I've done it once too tight, once too loose, and I think this third time earlier today was fine.

I'm pretty sure it's something else at this point, I'm hoping it's coils or possibly bad gas...
I Bought chevron fuel/injector cleaner and will be putting in a fresh tank tomorrow. I'm also going to do a compression test as well. I contacted a friend/local s2000 owner and will try temporarily swapping coils with him to see if that solves the issue
Old 06-14-2018, 01:55 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Sorry to hear this.

I think if I were in your shoes I would focus on finding a well regarded and experienced S2k mechanic and have the problem diagnosed. It is always tempting to start guessing and changing things to see if you can sort it out yourself. I do the same thing all the time. But, you would be well advised to get it to a professional who will go through a systematic diagnosis routine and get to it quickly, and in the long run probably you will save money.

If you try to do this yourself, I suggest that you start by getting a compression test done, and depending on the outcome of that, a leak down test. That can tell you a lot.

I think its great that you are diving into the mechanical work yourself. You have no doubt learned a lot already. But, this problem you are having is difficult to diagnose. Maybe others here more experienced than I can help you sort it out over the internets. But, if its me, the car is going to a good shop asap.

Last edited by rpg51; 06-14-2018 at 02:37 AM.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:59 AM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

Any possibility of bad gas or wrong octane from station's pump?

Good luck, on finding the fix.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by windhund116
Any possibility of bad gas or wrong octane from station's pump?

Good luck, on finding the fix.
Going to test that today, I have about an eighth of a tank left and am gonna throw some techron injector cleaner in before i put in fresh 91 (im in socal)!
Old 06-14-2018, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by rpg51
Sorry to hear this.

I think if I were in your shoes I would focus on finding a well regarded and experienced S2k mechanic and have the problem diagnosed. It is always tempting to start guessing and changing things to see if you can sort it out yourself. I do the same thing all the time. But, you would be well advised to get it to a professional who will go through a systematic diagnosis routine and get to it quickly, and in the long run probably you will save money.

If you try to do this yourself, I suggest that you start by getting a compression test done, and depending on the outcome of that, a leak down test. That can tell you a lot.

I think its great that you are diving into the mechanical work yourself. You have no doubt learned a lot already. But, this problem you are having is difficult to diagnose. Maybe others here more experienced than I can help you sort it out over the internets. But, if its me, the car is going to a good shop asap.

Yes I agree with your advice here. This is a projectcar and a learning tool for me and as much as I enjoy the pride of ownership knowing that my dad and I maintain the car there is a certain point at which I'm gonna hand it over for professional help.

I am going to try injector cleaner/new tank of gas/compression test/coil pack swap... hoping one of those solves it and that i dont get any low compression results.. after that I will take it to Evasive Motorsports if it still isn't solved.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:14 PM

Small update: filled in a fresh tank of chevron 91 and poured in the bottle of injector cleaner. might be too early to rule out the injector cleaner but i've ruled out the bad gas aspect, i was able to solicit the flashing CELL/p1399 while driving like an ahole on the 405

tomorrow is the compression test (praying for no issues), saturday my new coil packs come in the mail....

praying for a simple resolution

Quick Reply: Flashing CEL during prolonged VTEC use (3rd gear+)