S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Flashing CEL and noise

Old 05-09-2014, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flashing CEL and noise

Hi everyone,

Unfortunately I have come across some trouble with my S2000

I have owned the car for approximately 3 years, covered 40k miles (40k - 80k) and it has never missed a beat. I have always had to top up the oil, but from what I have read, generally in line with the usual consumption. The car has been utterly problem free.

Anyway, a week or so ago I was driving on the motorway when I received a flashing CEL as I travelled up a hill. Not knowing what a flashing CEL meant, but making the assumption that this was not great news, I decelerated and headed for the nearest slip road. At this point, the CEL light stopped and cleared - it had flashed for 5 seconds in total maybe. The engine made no noises or had no loss of power etc. I have since read this indicates a misfire?

With no CEL, no adverse effects etc I continued on my way. However, when I finished my motorway journey and began driving at slower (and quieter) speeds, I noticed a ticking noise from the engine. I figured now that there was something amiss, so turned the engine off and let the car completely cool down. I asked someone to listen to the noise a bit later, but at cold operating temperatures, the noise is non existent. It only occurs once the engine has warmed a little. It also clears at about 2.5k revs.

Anyway, I had the car recovered to a garage who have been systematically working through the engine to work out what has been going on - to be honest they haven't been sure! The car has been CEL read and no code has shown.

After checking TCT, Pulleys, the Cams, Alternator, etc they have bit the bullet and removed the sump. There is some scoring we can see in cylinder 4, but seems to be 4 only. The rest of the bottom end (and the head) looks immaculate from what we have seen, but it is not stripped yet. It seems at a minimum, I'm looking at piston and liner?

So basically, my question is, any idea what could have cuased this? Or how I should go forward with investigating the issue/repairing it? Where to buy the parts and what to expect to pay?

The last thing I want to do is part with hard earned fixing the damage only to find the root problem has not been tackled, therefore reproducing the same issue.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:22 PM

Received 419 Likes on 349 Posts

Is there any play in the crankshaft? Is the scoring on the cylinder? Have you checked your rod bearings?
Old 05-09-2014, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
Is there any play in the crankshaft? Is the scoring on the cylinder? Have you checked your rod bearings?
Not sure regarding crankshaft and not checked bearings yet. He had only just managed to get the sump off at close of play today - will keep you posted.

Yes number 4 cylinder scored.