S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Found another broken retainer tonight

Old 07-19-2006, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now you have me worried to death !
A couple weeks ago, at the track (streets of Willow) I mishifted: while shifting 2-3 ( of course red line @2nd) the shifter wouldn't engage in the gate; a little lapse finding it, and of course I put it right in first! I immediately realized my mistake, and in the blink of an eye, I shoved the clutch pedal, while briefly seeing the revs blinking at the top of the tach( maybe a 1/10 sec.) and hearing my rear tires squeal; before I put it in right gear. Stupid question, but does this qualify as an over-rev?
Old 07-19-2006, 08:38 PM

Received 1,270 Likes on 775 Posts

It might....however hearing the tires squeal is a good thing. Less traction, less mechanical leverage from the tires.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by froggie,Jul 19 2006, 11:26 PM
Now you have me worried to death !
A couple weeks ago, at the track (streets of Willow) I mishifted: while shifting 2-3 ( of course red line @2nd) the shifter wouldn't engage in the gate; a little lapse finding it, and of course I put it right in first! I immediately realized my mistake, and in the blink of an eye, I shoved the clutch pedal, while briefly seeing the revs blinking at the top of the tach( maybe a 1/10 sec.) and hearing my rear tires squeal; before I put it in right gear. Stupid question, but does this qualify as an over-rev?
Like billman said, the tire squeal is good news, however I really think you need to have it inspected as the motor was over-reved and its not worth skimping on an inspection on such an expensive motor.

I'm sure the other guys will chime in with better input, just my opinion.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:20 AM

Received 1,270 Likes on 775 Posts

Only take a few minutes to pull the cover and look. I think people are still getting the wrong idea about major engine work just to check them.

All you need to pull is the valve cover, that's it.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It really is only an hour or so job to pull the cover, inspect, and reinstall -- if you have done it before. It took me substantially longer to do it the first time. There is a learning curve.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:31 AM

Thank you for the input, and I plan on indeed removing the cover.But I looked yesterday on the service manual, and I feel completely clueless on doing the job. Howewver, I am sure it might be easier than it looks.
Will I be able to reuse the same seals and gaskets?
Do I need to disconnect the battery at all?
Old 07-20-2006, 08:57 AM

Check the condition of the valve stem seals while you are at it to see if you need new ones.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by froggie,Jul 20 2006, 11:31 AM
Thank you for the input, and I plan on indeed removing the cover.But I looked yesterday on the service manual, and I feel completely clueless on doing the job. Howewver, I am sure it might be easier than it looks.
It really is an easy job. You might want to stand in front of the car looking at the motor and mentally work through the job while reading the shop manual before you start. The job isn't hard enough to require that, but it might give you a little more confidance before you start taking things apart.

You can reuse all the same seals/gaskets, and I don't bother to disconnect the battery (though it's probably not a bad idea).
Old 07-20-2006, 10:13 AM

^ y r u doing donuts on dead end streets?

what if a squirrel is on his way home?

Old 07-20-2006, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by froggie,Jul 20 2006, 09:31 AM
Check the Under The Hood FAQs for the DIY valve adjustment topic.

Quick Reply: Found another broken retainer tonight