S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Fried ECU

Old 10-25-2008, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fried ECU

Hey guys I recently had a problem I thought was related to my fuel injector. I threw a bottle of lucas oil injector cleaner in it and the problem went away. While driving to work tonight ( It was raining like hell) I stopped at a light and the problem came back 2 fold. Running very low on power, missing, and the check engine light flashing! It also smells funny like EGGS.

Does anyone have any ideas...

My S is an 01 with 38k on her. Shoot me some ideas.. Last time the problem occured it was when I left her outside and it was cooler..

Thanks
Old 10-25-2008, 03:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you check what the CEL code was? probably shouldn't be driving the car until you get this sorted/
Old 10-25-2008, 08:31 PM

Real bad exhaust smell is related to exhaust gases not being burned properly by the cat. I'm guessing the CEL will be related to the secondary O2 sensor.

If that's the case, pull off your cat ( I know, not that easy), look through and see if it's intact.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if the CEL is on solid it is a minor problem. If it flashing that means it a serious problem and needs to be looked at ASAP. As for what smells like eggs? Leftovers from Dennys? haha sorry
Old 10-26-2008, 02:10 AM

check the alternator a boiling battery smells like rotten eggs

grtz kristof
Old 10-26-2008, 06:49 AM

if the CEL is blinking at a constant rate you have a serious problem and should absolutely stop driving the car. have it towed to honda for service.

if the CEL is popping up here and there for half a second under load and then quickly disappearing then i believe that is the sign for engine knock detected, but im not sure if the s2k does that or not.

if the CEL is popping up here and there for a half a second when returning to idle then the motor is likely almost stalling - map sensor.

as for the smell, battery and misfiring come to mind, or burnt out cat in general.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know little about the S2K, a fair bit about cars in general though. When you mention a funny egg smell, couple that with low power, I'd suggest the cat and/or O2 sensor.

I'd also guess that it's drinking more fuel than normal too.

Out of curiosity, where are the O2 sensors on the S?
Old 10-26-2008, 03:34 PM

I pulled the codes while I was at work. Cylinder 1 & 3 misfiring..

I can only think this is related to me running my tank a little low on fuel..

She is running on 3 cylinders from I can tell.. I'm shopping the car tomorrow..

I'm guessing its a clogged/ bad injector fouled plugs ???

All my experiences with my S have been good so far but this sucks
Old 10-26-2008, 05:36 PM

im gonna say injector plugged. ive seen an instance where the gas was gumming up, someone tossed in fuel injec. cleaner, which made it WORSE...cuz it cleaned up too much shit from the tank which made its way to the injectors. also, misfire could = spark plugs/coilpacks so check those as well.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:17 AM

I decided not to shop my car. Mainly because I had a dream about what was wrong. This morning I check all my injectors and screens ( all clean)- I was wrong about the injectors, I was stuck on them for some reason Did a compression test on all cylinders # 1-225 #2-221 #3-219 #4- 228 well within the variation- I was amazed how close they were! Put a smile on my face lol

I had never leak down test so my friend who works at BMW helped me perform on and this car. The results were all positive positive, " Everything looks normal here bra" he said

Next pulled the plugs only to find #1 to be wet with fuel. Swapped out coils and was able to eliminate a failed coil as the problem bc she still wouldn't fire the plug... Hmmm wtf wtf after sitting around for an hour of so destressing in my garage with Mandy ( this little hottie works at Advanced) she mentioned to take a look at the computer voltages- Maybe its a bad signal from the ECU ( My S only has 38k on her so I didn't even think of this as a possibility) Grrr well it turns out she was right. I checked the voltages and had 5 volts coming where it shouldn't. Unfortunately it appears that something in my ecu decided to burn out. Does anyone have any feedback on what would have caused this? ? ??

So I'm about to put in a order for an aftermarket ECU ($440 with overnight shipping)
Getting one cheaper would be nice Anyone? lol Anyone? Bueeeeller? buuuueeeller ?

I'm not 100% sure but I would think that the new/ used ECU would have to be programed for my specific car?

Thanks for all the help on this issue.

Quick Reply: Fried ECU