S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

FRM Cylinder Honing Machine Shops

Old 02-24-2019, 06:59 AM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Default FRM Cylinder Honing Machine Shops

Do we have any known machine shops that can successfully hone our FRM lined cylinders? I might have to do pistons/rings in mine (still TBD), and would have to get the cylinders honed first of course. I highly doubt there are any machine shops with this capability close to me (North Dakota), so my guess is the block will have to be shipped out to someone. If there gets to be a list of shops I can add them here to make it easy to find. I'm all about doing most work myself, but this is territory that I've never explored, and would really like someone with knowledge to do it, so I'm totally cool with paying a good shop to get it done.
Old 02-24-2019, 06:26 PM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts

Inline Pro apparently.
Old 02-25-2019, 01:36 AM

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Subscribed. Would really like to use those mahle pistons that are FRM compatible.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:24 AM

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

Millennium Technologies will rebore and plate with NSC (AKA Nikasil) for $944. With this setup, any aluminum piston may be used. I spoke with them and they explained that they have been successful with this application.

https://www.millennium-tech.net/
Old 02-26-2019, 08:30 AM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

So far, Inline Pro is the only place I've heard back from that can do it. They can either use the Mahle pistons, or they have a custom piston from CP Carillo they can also use.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:43 AM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by fatjoe10
Millennium Technologies will rebore and plate with NSC (AKA Nikasil) for $944. With this setup, any aluminum piston may be used. I spoke with them and they explained that they have been successful with this application.

https://www.millennium-tech.net/
I have heard nothing but good things about Millenium coming from a motorcycle background, I was unaware that they did the F20C as well. Neat.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:17 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by Chibo
I have heard nothing but good things about Millenium coming from a motorcycle background, I was unaware that they did the F20C as well. Neat.
The question I have is have they actually done one and its successfully running down the road, or they just assuming they can do it and would like the business? I don't know enough about the process to know if its a reasonable assumption or not to adapt it to our engine.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:25 AM

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
The question I have is have they actually done one and its successfully running down the road, or they just assuming they can do it and would like the business? I don't know enough about the process to know if its a reasonable assumption or not to adapt it to our engine.
They stated that they have done it and seen running. This is also done with the Toyota 2ZZ engine, which employs the same style of liner as the F20.
Old 02-26-2019, 07:14 PM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by fatjoe10
They stated that they have done it and seen running. This is also done with the Toyota 2ZZ engine, which employs the same style of liner as the F20.
I also come from a motorcycle background. Millenium is THE machine shop in that industry. Their work is top notch.
Ive never seen a nikasil cylinder in a high boost application though...only low boost sportbikes.

Last edited by Charper732; 02-26-2019 at 07:16 PM.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:26 AM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

For FI, just go with iron cylinder liners.

For NA, its of course not low boost, its no boost (just the 15psi or so of atmospheric pressure that is tbe starting point that boost boosts on top of). Rather its the high compression ratio to worry about. Thats something we have in common with tve motorcycle engines Millennium is known for, except most performance motorcycle engines have even more than we do (in many cases a lot more).

So this seems like a really good fit! That they have auto engine experience, and even F20 experience bodes well.

As these cars get older, and more and more unique (not a lot of new cars like this being made anymore), and good used engines becoming harder to find, we're goung to have to overcome the rebuild hurdles that have made that option unfeasible. This seems like a great start toward that goal.

Quick Reply: FRM Cylinder Honing Machine Shops