S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Front end shaking/vibrating. Intermittent. Update. Loose wobbling caliper?

Old 05-04-2014, 05:46 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Front end shaking/vibrating. Intermittent. Update. Loose wobbling caliper?

Not exactly sure what's going on. I haven't had time to get under car and check out front brakes yet.

Anyways I get some crazy front shaking recently. Then it will go away completely. I'll tap brakes and it will shake again crazy regardless of speed or rpms etc so I know it's something besides balancing or anything like that.

Find it strange sometimes I'll do a hard brake and then vibrations will stop.
Other times it will be smooth and then I'll brake and it will vibrate like crazy even when off brakes.

I'm guessing the rotors are warped bad or something and causing pads to touch even when not braking. Does have a pulsating feel to it when braking and going slower.

Never had it be random like that at higher speeds even with brakes.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:03 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like something might be loose. So it doesn't do it every time you brake?
Old 05-04-2014, 06:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a warped rotor to me.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:02 AM
Former Sponsor

Yeahs it's on and off which is really weird. I live on top of a mountain. And road down it was vibrating bad. By bottom it had stopped. Did an on ramp and vibrated like crazy from front (not axle buckets I'm familiar with that)
Then hit brakes and vibrated even worse before going away again. Then when exiting it started again until I mashed brakes a bit more and it went away.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rotors, sir. Had the exact same problem on my 02, changed rotors and voila, intermittent vibration in the front was gone.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:36 AM
Former Sponsor

Yeah that's what I figured. I'll put some new rotors on ASAP. Stop tech or DBA ones.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:47 AM
Former Sponsor

I pulled the front wheels off today to look at brakes. The driver side caliper is loose and can wiggle around. I checked all bolts and everything is properly torqued down.
This must be contributing or the total issue I am having. I turned the rotors and they do seem a tiny bit warped as it catches slightly in one spot when turning it.

The other caliper i compelely tight with no wiggle room.

What would cause the one caliper to be loose like that. It will wobble back and forth a little bit. Uneven brake pad wear or something?
Old 05-07-2014, 10:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If its wiggling, you should be able to see whats making it wiggle.

Two bolts that hold the caliper to the bracket. If it's just the claiper, is it the slider pins that are wiggling? Or is the bracket itself wiggling as an entire assembly?

If it just started happening and appears/disappears, its probably whatever is making that caliper wiggle. warped rotors will pulsate every time you brake.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:53 AM
Former Sponsor

I'm thinking the piston might be frozen in and not clamping down on the pad. It has had a terrible braking feel for a while now. I just assumed I needed to re bleed the brakes but could be a frozen in caliper
Old 05-07-2014, 10:54 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by spets
If its wiggling, you should be able to see whats making it wiggle.

Two bolts that hold the caliper to the bracket. If it's just the claiper, is it the slider pins that are wiggling? Or is the bracket itself wiggling as an entire assembly?

If it just started happening and appears/disappears, its probably whatever is making that caliper wiggle. warped rotors will pulsate every time you brake.

The bracket part is very tight. It's the caliper/piston part that is loose. Slider pins the bolts are fully tightened on them but still the whole piston caliper part has free play in it.

Quick Reply: Front end shaking/vibrating. Intermittent. Update. Loose wobbling caliper?