S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Front Suspension Noise after suspension install

Old 08-02-2006, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Front Suspension Noise after suspension install

I'm experiencing a clicking type noise from the front right suspension assembly. It could be a binding-releasing sort of noise also. It happens any time I put a load on the right front (i.e. taking a hard left turns). It also happens when any articulation is experienced by the front suspension (i.e. driveways, etc...). It almost sounds like the spring isn't seated properly but it is.

I recently replaced my shocks to the Koni yellows (which i absolutely love) but kept the stock springs. All bolts removed were torqued to the specs mentioned on the Koni/Eibach DIY sticky. It's progressively gotten worse in the frequency of the clicks. I especially noticed the "clicking" on the track. Every turn and there's a click. I re-torqued the bolts this past weekend but w/o disablembing any suspension components and still didn't do it.

I'm starting to think removing and reinstalling the entire assembly is needed but for some reason I doubt that will fix it either.

Some options i'm considering but reluctant to try yet.
1. New Alignment
2. Reassembly of suspension components
3. Grease sway bar connections

Anyone have this problem or know of what might be causing it? Any help would be much appreciated!

Did a search for a similar type noise on the boards but all articles pointed to the hub bolt torque problem. Not this one.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:13 PM
Ek9
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the failure modes of the Koni's is noise when it cycles. They mention it where they list warranty repair. I'm not sure they consider it a click though.

When you assembled everything, you pre-loaded the suspension before you tightened the bolts down right? On every rubber bushing, you don't want to torque down the bolts if the suspension isn't cycled to normal right height. I typically jack under the control arms to cycle the suspension up. If you don't do this, you pre-load the bushings and run the risk of tearing them up.

If you didn't, I'd get the wheel off, put a jack under the control arm then loosen and tighten each bolt through a bushing to rated torque.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i read a while ago about a click that came only on a certain turn on a member's car. he said that the noise went away after he re-tourqed his subframe bolts. later he posted that he changed them just becasue...
Old 08-02-2006, 09:29 PM

you've got a point. i did see some abnormal wear on the top bushing. I may have preloaded wrong since i torqued the top nut to 22lbs after it had the full car's weight on it. The tire was installed and everything. The bolt only had enough torque to hold the loaded spring in place during installation.

ok, this is probably a dumb question but did i "preload" correctly? also, do I need to preload the A-arm bolts (76.9lbs i believe) and the lower shock mount bolt? seems a bit weird to preload something supporting lateral weight.. but as you can tell i don't know much!

Thanks for your help.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:37 PM
Ek9
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When the bolts are loose, the bushings'll pivot on the through bolts, when you tighten down the bolt, they're locked into place.

When I'm talking about "pre-load" it's not the bolt itself but, the entire suspension. You put all the bolts in finger tight, put a jack under the control arm (or if you can get at the bolts with the wheel on, just put the car down on it's wheels). Then you lift the control arm until the entire suspension on that side's compressed to about where it would be at normal ride height. THEN torque down the bolts through the bushings. It's only bolts that go through bushings that need this.

The whole point is, when you lock the bushings down, you're doing it so when it's sitting at normal ride height, the bushings aren't trying to twist one way or the other.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:02 PM

this is horrible. pre-loading wasn't the answer (at least not for me). the click noise has been occuring more frequently now and moreso with a passenger in the car. i'm beginning to think it's coming from something that is "loaded" such as a sway bar. I'm doing my tranny and diff fluid change this wknd and will have to tear down the suspension. I hope my helms manual comes in on time!

anyone have any guesses or experienced this before? your help is appreciated.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:20 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Springs might not be seated correctly on the shock. I had a problem with this on my SE-R and it was making a popping sound when I braked, accellerated or turned.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:47 PM

just got back from the socal alignment guru Darin @ West End. Even he wasn't able to figure it out. To his credit i'm sure he could have figured it out if he had all day or something. I'm at my witts end with this and he suspects it's probably something not related to the suspension (i.e. body panel) ... although, he diagnosed relating to suspension at first. After spending 2 hrs on it, there was nothing more he could do outside of taking apart the whole front end. so far all suspension bolts torqued and we don't suspect is a dud bushing but i guess could be.

At least the sound is consistently reproduceable. Any left to right to left motion (slalom sort of driving) will cause something to load *dunk* then unload *another dunk*.

why me???

can anyone recommend a good dealer repair shop here in socal pref. in San Gabriel Valley somewhere? I've heard good things about Honda World but would like anyone who has had good experiences to chime in.

Thanks!
Old 08-15-2006, 09:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did you try my suggestion?
Old 08-17-2006, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by jzz30,Aug 15 2006, 09:58 PM
did you try my suggestion?
jzz- thanks for the reminder! I will definitely do that this weekend and report back. That sounds like the next logical step. The only bolts we've retorqued (numerous times) were any suspension related components. Will work on body panels and subframe components next. Thanks again

Quick Reply: Front Suspension Noise after suspension install