S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Fuel cut off after hard left turn?

Old 03-25-2004, 06:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel cut off after hard left turn?

First, car '03 with 7,500 miles and is completely stock, car was completely warmed up in all instances (3 bars)...

On all three runs at autox a few weeks back, the car would not rev past 4-5K in 2nd gear on the last straightaway (WOT)...the course ended with a slalom followed by a fast right, then fast left turn. Temperature was about 80, it took me 42 seconds to get through the course, yet the car consistently acted up coming out of the last left turn...no hesistation or sputter before this. Also, I had 1/2 tank of gas.

On the ride home from autox (about 2 hours) the car was fine until I was about 5 miles from home upon which the car was hesitating and sputtering with light acceleration, even in 4th gear...this may have been caused be too little fuel (the light was on). After filling up about 1 mile from home, it seemed fine.

A week after autox, I took a fast left-handed u-turn in 1st gear and, after straightening the car, floored it and, again the car felt like it hit a wall at about 4-5K. It was nighttime and the temps were in the 60s...had driven the car for about 10 minutes.

This morning, I took a hard left turn, straightened the car and floored it in first gear and, the same thing, felt like the fuel was cut off at about 5K. I have 1/2 tank of gas.

I've read about heatsoak, but it was in the 60s this morning and had only driven the car for about 5 minutes.

I've heard about fuel starvation on right turns with about 1/8 of tank of gas but this doesn't seem to be the case.

The car had also been checked out by the dealer several months ago when the car did the same thing, but in those instances a left hand turn was not involved...one was a right hand turn under light acceleration and the other was straight ahead WOT (twice) from the top of 1st into 2nd upon which the the fuel cut out.

Maybe a fuel pump problem?

Sorry from the long post and run-on sentences!
Old 03-25-2004, 08:31 AM

Mine does the same thing here and there. Its done it with a full tank of gas as well and on both right and left turns (mainly left). Someone mentioned that if you have low gas and make the turn fast, the gas will shift and the pump will suck in air of a brief moment. Makes sense but the more and more it happens i am believing that is not the case. I am planning to take it to the shop soon and see if I can figure this out. Sux though. Mines an '04 with just under 3K miles.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:39 AM

It doesn't help my autox times any, that's for sure. It's going to my dealer when the S2000 mechanic comes back from vacation (next week).
Old 03-25-2004, 11:45 AM

this has been covered in a bunch of threads, although i haven't experienced.

you state that the car is warmed up, soooooo.... i'm guessing that the fuel tank is probably at less than half and the pump ain't pumping fuel. almost all instances report left turn and low fuel.
Old 03-25-2004, 11:53 AM

check the map sensor?
Old 03-25-2004, 11:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had the fuel cut out in my car on hard left-hand turns, but that was only when it was very low on fuel. As suggested, check the MAP sensor.
Old 03-29-2004, 11:08 AM

I've had it done when the tank was more than half-way full. What about the MAP sensor should i check? Looseness?
Old 04-01-2004, 02:12 PM

Well, I took the car to the dealer today and drove the shop foreman through a few hard left turns. After a few hours, he called me up and said the MAP sensor or the PCV valve was the probable culprit. I took the car in, had the oil changed (it was due) and MAP sensor replaced. I was told that the MAP sensor was faulty and that, hopefully, the problem would be no more. I haven't yet taken any hard lefts but will most certainly know if it's fixed this Sunday at Autox. BTW, the folks at Braman Honda in Lake Worth are extremely helpful and Scott (the shop foreman) knows his stuff...highly recommended!
Old 04-01-2004, 06:43 PM

No dice! Took a hard left into my neighborhood just now and it sputtered at 8k in 1st gear. I immediately shifted into 2nd and it sputtered.

I'll take her back in tomorrow...hopefully replacing the PCV will do the trick.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:04 AM

Keep me posted dancing fool...It is much appreciated.

Quick Reply: Fuel cut off after hard left turn?