S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Fuel tuning with boost??? Electronic? Mechanical?

Old 04-16-2002, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel tuning with boost??? Electronic? Mechanical?

I'm starting to toss around the idea of going with boost. But I want to have a good plan first.

Wes, is there enough room in the injector cycle to run boost with the AEM EMS without changing the injectors/pump/fpr??? I'm thinking if I can do all my fuel management with just a computer, that might be a good solution... But if I'll need an AEM EMS, larger injectors, a bigger pump, and a different regulator - that sounds like more fuel crap than I think I would want to deal with.
Old 04-16-2002, 10:44 AM

Oh, I should note - since we only have 91 octane here in CA and this will be for street use, I would probably limit the car to 6psi for normal driving and maybe an occasional 8psi on race gas.

Chris said the stock injectors are 330 cc.
Old 04-16-2002, 11:57 AM

you can always go w/ 440's and the vafc setup. just use the vafc to trim down the fuel. that's exactly what i did w/ my turbo GSR. i had 440's, 8to1 fmu disk (if i'm not mistaken) and a V-AFC.
Old 04-16-2002, 12:13 PM

Let's use Comptech's setup as a basis. They run 6 PSI with an upgraded fuel pump and fuel rail, and FPR. So, I'm going to assume you at least need the fuel rail and pump. You won't need the FPR with AEM EMS because you can control the fuel just fine. As far as injectors, you can stick with stock for 6 PSI. If you want to go higher, or you really want to tune with the EMS, tuners are recommending higher injectors. You can run 440cc injectors at High Resistance (stock), or up to 1,600 cc's if you convert the system to Low Resistance (the stock ECU cannot run Low Resistance injectors). I think I was told the stock injectors were 360cc. Anyway, from what I've been hearing I'd recommend at least 550cc if you really want to boost at 8 PSI and do some tuning with EMS. With EMS you can tune down the injectors, so there is no such thing as "too big" from what I understand. RC Engineering can hook you up with 550cc injectors (Low Resistance), they carry those in stock, or up to 1,600cc custom made. There is some rigging (resistors) that needs to be done to the S2000 to get it to run with Low Resistance injectors.

I am not a tuner. I'm pretty much just repeating what I've been told by a few different sources.

The RC Engineering injectors very in price based on the cc. http://www.rceng.com/prices.htm Be sure to tell them I sent you (ha, they have no idea who I am, but it never hurts).
Old 04-16-2002, 12:18 PM

Shoot, you can buy the pump and fuel rail straight from Comptech.

High Volume/High Pressure Fuel Pump
$134.95

The Fuel Rail is not listed, but I'd bet they'd sell you one.
Old 04-16-2002, 12:52 PM

hmmmm...
Old 04-16-2002, 12:54 PM

Originally posted by The Reverend
hmmmm...
I'd have to agree.

Old 04-17-2002, 07:12 AM

Originally posted by AusS2000
What's the deal with the fuel pump? It mounts in the tank? Is it a standard size unit or something?
Not sure exactly what you mean by "what's the deal with the fuel pump".... It does mount in the tank and I don't believe it is the same as any other pumps... Other than that, I'm not really sure what you're looking for.
Old 04-17-2002, 10:23 AM

According to the RC Engineering injector worksheet I'm going to need 550 cc injectors!

I don't have my service manual handy right now... does anyone remember the stock fuel pressure??? I think it's 54, but I'm not sure. Anyway, if it is 54 - I might be able to get away with running 550's on the stock pump and fpr.
Old 04-17-2002, 11:31 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by The Reverend
[B]I'm going to need 550 cc injectors!

Quick Reply: Fuel tuning with boost??? Electronic? Mechanical?