S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

good street pads?

Old 07-17-2002, 03:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Please note: the ability to stop is usually determined by the tires you are using.
Old 07-18-2002, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the Carbotech Panther Plus.

Similar to the Porterfield, but less harmful to the rotor.

I changed those out along with ATE Super Blue, and now when I crank down the brakes, my ears pop and I feel like I'm going to BARF!!!

Chris
Old 07-19-2002, 08:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hams2000
[B]Get the Carbotech Panther Plus.
Old 07-19-2002, 09:54 AM

There is some logic to the "if you can lock the brakes" argument if you desire to lock the brakes. It is also true that locking the brakes with ABS is the quickest way to slow down (on a regular, smooth road surface.)

You will find that you can acheive better modulation (pedal control) and thus more stopping power (before locking the brakes) with some of the aftermarket pads. I've only tried the Porterfield track street pads (R4S) and I think they're a big improvement on the stockers and that they wear pretty well. I'm no zealot though, the brakes are great and fade free either way. They're just incrementally better with the Porterfields.

Another advantage of these pads (over the Carbotechs) is that they are bonded, not riveted. I believe this leads to better heat transfer. You're also less likely to have rotor damage if you get too far into them.
Old 07-19-2002, 09:58 AM

locking the brakes has nothing to do with it. In fact, crappy brake pads usually are easier to "Lock" the brakes up with. Great pads like the carbotech and porterfield dont lock up as easily.

I've tried the Endless Pads, and they arent near as nice as the Carbotechs. I havent tried the porterfields, as my car on has 9000 miles on it.

The Carbotechs are not riveted, they're bonded like the porterfields.

chris
Old 07-19-2002, 10:03 AM

[B]locking the brakes has nothing to do with it. In fact, crappy brake pads usually are easier to "Lock" the brakes up with. Great pads like the carbotech and porterfield dont lock up as easily.

I've tried the Endless Pads, and they arent near as nice as the Carbotechs. I havent tried the porterfields, as my car on has 9000 miles on it.
Old 07-19-2002, 10:17 AM

I mean that high quality pads like the porterfield and the carbotech resist grabbing the rotor when hot and therefore will not lock up as easily. I dont know how to technically explain this to you but I tried the Endless pads which cost twice as much as my Carbotechs. They were crappy because they would just lock up too easily. They're resistance to lock up the rotor was a lot less than that of the carbotechs....

I ran the same set of tires on both sets of pads. I understand that you are talking about crappy tires. I am telling you that there is a definate difference in pads. I run S-03's.

Carbotechs are like $130 for a entire set. You wont be dissappointed, trust me.

Chris
Old 07-19-2002, 10:19 AM

i dont know how to explain to you with showing you the difference. they brake a lot harder but do not grab the rotor. There is a reason for that. it's in the makeup of the pad.
Old 07-19-2002, 10:26 AM

[B]I mean that high quality pads like the porterfield and the carbotech resist grabbing the rotor when hot and therefore will not lock up as easily. I dont know how to technically explain this to you but I tried the Endless pads which cost twice as much as my Carbotechs. They were crappy because they would just lock up too easily. They're resistance to lock up the rotor was a lot less than that of the carbotechs....

I ran the same set of tires on both sets of pads. I understand that you are talking about crappy tires. I am telling you that there is a definate difference in pads. I run S-03's.
Old 07-19-2002, 10:38 AM

I'm glad you see what I'm talking about. The stock pads were better than the Endless for the street because the stockers wouldnt lock up... The endless would just lock up too easy. It drove me nuts. I couldnt get into the pedal more than half way without causing the pads to lock down. They sucked. But carbotechs are different. They are insane. They dont lock up hardly at all.. I mean if you put the pedal to the floor they're going to lock down, but they have a very high resistance to locking. I cant speak for the porterfields as I havent tried them. I dont know what causes it. I just know they will make me puke if I slam them at any speed. That's awesome. Also, brake fluid makes a big difference too...

Quick Reply: good street pads?