S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Got EPS code.. torque sensor

Old 04-03-2006, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got EPS code.. torque sensor

So, finally got my eps code checked. PGM tester says it is the torque sensor..

I have the S2000 shop manual, but does anyone know if there is a way I can clean/reset the torque sensor to fix it?

Also, I have the check engine light on, and the PGM tester says that the catalytic converter is deteriorating... common sense says I need a new catalytic converter...however the exact codes I get are PO411 and PO420.

If anyone can shed some light..pleaaassee!!

Also, if my torque sensor needs to be replaced...does anyone know how much that part costs???

Thanks
Old 04-03-2006, 08:25 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by gti2000,Apr 3 2006, 08:56 PM
I have the S2000 shop manual, but does anyone know if there is a way I can clean/reset the torque sensor to fix it?

Also, I have the check engine light on, and the PGM tester says that the catalytic converter is deteriorating... common sense says I need a new catalytic converter...however the exact codes I get are PO411 and PO420.

If anyone can shed some light..pleaaassee!!

Also, if my torque sensor needs to be replaced...does anyone know how much that part costs???

Thanks
If you have the Helm manual, then you should know that there are a set of steps that you need to perform to check for continuity and resistance between various pins on the connector. It involves fixing "shorts" and/or ultimately replacing the torque sensor. Or am I not understanding what you are asking?

P0411 has to do with the secondary air injection system. The most likely fault here has been the bad installation of a cold air intake and the vacuum lines are mixed up or loose or cracked or disconnected. Something you haven't included in your description?

P0420 is he catalyst system below threshold. The Helm also tells you what to do about this.

I'm really confused that you don't know this since you have the manual. Have you been doing some "tests"? Because if you have, doing one of the test for the bad cat involves doing something that would generate an EPS code.

I think you need to tell us exactly what you've been doing with your car. There just too many odd things in what you've posted.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:45 PM

Sorry...guess I just wish all my s2k problems would just disappear all at once....

Okay...so I've had the EPS light come on/off randomly...sometimes I start the car..EPS light is on, sometimes I start the car, EPS light is off and everything is fine..

So, finally got the code pulled and I got a "14". I have the original s2000 shop manual, and it does have the continuity tests. I am going to go through the steps ASAP to try and fix this, 'cause I can't stand doing a 3-point turn in 10-turns anymore (damn EPS)..

I guess what I want to know is, can you reset the torque sensor manually? Like the driver-side auto down button, where you follow some steps and it resets itself?

Forgive me, as I wish I was more mechanically tuned so I could fix this easily myself.

If there is no way I will just try to follow the steps in the manual...

The catalytic question is only because I still have the smell of gasoline (no leaks in tank) coming into the cockpit sometimes while driving with the windows down.

BTW..I have done all the scheduled maintainence for this car, so these problems are ones that I have incurred along the way.

Hopefully I have been more thorough in this post.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:39 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

After doing the tests and turning up nothing, I guess you can do the EPS reset and "memorize the torque sensor neutral position". This is easiest to do with the Honda PGM tester, but I believe there is a way to do it by jumping pins on the data port. I don't know which pins, but I believe that a board member by the name of "SenderGreen" has looked into this aspect of the EPS situation. Try sending him a PM.

As for how much the torque sensor is, it's part #2 in the following and costs about $250.00 US. It'll be a lot more money in Canada simply because Honda Canada really gouges us for parts.
http://www.slhondaparts.com/browse.asp?Mod...&ViewParts=true

About the other two things, just follow the Helm manual to figure those out.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To clear an EPS DTC without the PGM-Tester find the page in your Helms with: How to Clear EPS DTC Service Check Signal Circuit Method. In my Helms it is on page 17-21, however I have the 00-03 edition, so you may find it on a different page in the same area. Step 1 would be to make sure the ignition is turned off. Step 2 would be to make sure that the car's wheels are on the ground, pointed straight ahead, with the steering wheel at 0 degrees or TDC. Step 3 would be to jump PIN 9 to PIN 4 on your OBDII Data link connector (the same place you hook up the PGM-Tester). Here is a good visual example. http://www.k-series.com/tech_detail.php?Tech_ID=CEL . For steps 4 through 11 refer to your Helms manual. There is a note saying that if the ignition is not turned off within 5 seconds of performing the final step the "System" will go into memorizing mode for the torque sensor neutral position. Also never clear a DTC of any sort without first addressing the problem. Good Luck
Old 04-04-2006, 08:20 AM

Thanks for all the help. I'll be working on these problems for next few days.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:54 PM

I also have to reset my EPS Torque Sensor but I do not havbe a Helms manual. Is there a link somewhere to the instructions. I have a 2005 AP2. Any help would be appreciated