S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

got a vibration...left rear...slow speeds.

Old 06-26-2006, 05:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default got a vibration...left rear...slow speeds.

as i accelerate, and when i hit 60 KMH or so, the driver's side rear develops a vibration....it's not small either.

as speeds pass 70 + KMH, it disappears completely....slow down to 60 or so and it's back.

it's annoying as hell....

any ideas?

MY 2004, 64,000 kilometeres on it....lowered from day one with coilovers, tracked frequently, solid other than this...no squeeks, rattles, other mechanical issues, etc...car runs like a champ otherwise.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:46 AM

oh, and i thought it may be axle nuts or CV's?

would this be correct?
Old 06-26-2006, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Axle nut is usually indicated by a clicking at low speeds, CV problems are typically vibration under acceleration (you are having a speed specific vibration under accel and decel). My guess is a wheel balance issue, maybe you dropped an adhesive weight. Maybe there is tire damage.

I would:
- check for a telltale sticky spot on the inside of the rim from a missing weight
- swap rears side to side under dry conditions and see if it follows the wheel to the other side
- borrow a rim (if you are stock) from a fellow s2k driver and see if that helps

Resist the urge to put the spare on the front and do a front to rear change as you are exceeding the recommended m.p.h. for the spare. Hope you get it worked out.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:01 AM

I had the same issues as you are saying. I took it to a shop and it was the rear axle. Have someone take a look for you.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My guess would be CV joint although I have not heard of many cases if at all of this on an AP2.....and possible rim/wheel damage or loss of wheel weight.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:07 AM

I had the same problem wjen I first had the car... the previous owner hit a curb while trying to "drift"...

I relpaced the entire outter hub/spindle and the driveshaft (and CV's)... it went away...

I would agree with claq that it's the CV's.

My 2cents...
Old 06-26-2006, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by clag,Jun 26 2006, 11:46 AM
Axle nut is usually indicated by a clicking at low speeds, CV problems are typically vibration under acceleration (you are having a speed specific vibration under accel and decel). My guess is a wheel balance issue, maybe you dropped an adhesive weight. Maybe there is tire damage.

I would:
- check for a telltale sticky spot on the inside of the rim from a missing weight
- swap rears side to side under dry conditions and see if it follows the wheel to the other side
- borrow a rim (if you are stock) from a fellow s2k driver and see if that helps

Resist the urge to put the spare on the front and do a front to rear change as you are exceeding the recommended m.p.h. for the spare. Hope you get it worked out.
thanks guys.

1. i'm not hearing a ticking...but then again, it's hard to hear stuff in this car...on top of that i'm supercharged, so there is tons of excess noise.
2. i have three sets of wheels (track, summer, snows).....happens with all of them...and only at the left rear.
3. no weights missing, no rims damaged.
4. vibration is as i accelerate to 60...or decel down to 60....nothing below 60 and nothing over 65-70 as i move out of the "60" vibration zone.

i'm taking it to our local S2000 shop, but thought i would get some obvious suggestions in advance.....
Old 06-26-2006, 11:09 AM

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Try to tighen the axle nut on the car (just pop out the wheel cap) Just a thought.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:36 AM

thanks g

is it a hex nut?

would my semi-pro household socket set have the correct socket?
Old 06-26-2006, 11:57 AM

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

It's a 36MM

Quick Reply: got a vibration...left rear...slow speeds.