S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Which grease for caliper slide pins?

Old 10-21-2016, 09:28 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Which grease for caliper slide pins?

Going to grease my caliper slide pins as preventative maintenance while changing brake pads.

Manual says to use Honda Silicon Grease part no 08C30-B0234M but that's $56 a tube and special order, not available locally: https://www.amazon.com/Honda-08C30-B.../dp/B00AJTVVYG

I have on hand Honda Urea Grease and Honda Shin Etsu Grease. Are either of these acceptable? Is there something widely available I can pick up at an autoshop? Need to get this job done this weekend.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:54 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Old 10-21-2016, 09:55 AM
Community Organizer

That'll work.

If you track your car, go for the hiighest temp stuff they got. Ask the counter guy.

Shin-Etsu is only for rubber and wont stand up to the heat that it'll be exposed to at a caliper.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:01 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

OF the two, the hi-temp urea will be better suited for the caliper pins. I use CRC caliper grease and it works fine. Definitely do not use the Shin-Etsu.

For daily driving, any brake grease will do. It doesn't require anything special.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:19 AM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

You can get 3M silicone paste at auto parts stores. It is the same chemical makeup as Shin Etsu but without the high price. Not only great for anything electric (dielectric) but works great on rubber. I have no commercial relationship with 3M.

-40F to +400F service temp.

From 3M

3MTM Silicone Paste is a non-hardening, water resistant, silicone based compound designed to lubricate, protect surfaces from oxidation and serve as a dielectric compound. It is a high viscosity paste that will remain in place for a long period of time. It can be applied heavily to help seal out contaminates and environmental elements that lead to oxidation and corrosion or it can be spread thin to leave behind a virtually unnoticeable film. A brush is permanently attached to the top to make applying it more convenient.

For use in numerous vehicle and non-vehicle applications. Use as a lubricant for plastic-to-plastic, plastic-to-metal, plastic-to-rubber, rubber-to-rubber, and rubber-to- metal assemblies. Will not cause swelling or deterioration of elastomers. Use to seal out contaminates, moisture, or elements that lead to oxidation and corrosion. Use as a dielectric paste on low voltage electrical parts where arching and oxidation may occur and as a heat transfer membrane between heat-sinks.

Applications

Engines:
Ignition Parts, distributor cam lobes, spark plug wire terminals, distributor cap terminals, distributor rotor tip, heat-sink membrane.

Bulb Bases:
Tail lights, turn lights, marker lights, stop lights, convenience lights, trailer lights.

Brakes:
General purpose lubricant for metal-to-rubber applications, caliper guide pins, outer caliper seals, outer wheel cylinder seals.

General Applications:
Excellent for lubricating the threads of bolts & screws that thread into plastic such as: Headlight bezels, license plates, grills, fog lamps.
Use to lubricate O-rings, rubber hoses, weather-stripping, rubber chassis & steering bushings, rubber grommets, rubber & plastic hole plugs,
Seat tracks, window tracks & window regulator mechanisms
Can eliminate squeaks in instrument panels caused by plastic-to-plastic contact.
Cover battery terminals to protect from corrosion.
Use to seal electrical connections from moisture and corrosion on vehicles without weather protective connectors.
Use to lubricate tight fitting plastic & rubber parts during re-assembly.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:24 AM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

+1 on the Napa/Syl-glide, which is -20 to +600F, I use it on all my caliper slide pins.
Old 10-21-2016, 12:59 PM

Received 1,250 Likes on 946 Posts

Silicone paste works much better than HT urea on brake caliper pins.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:30 PM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

I used high temp moly brake grease. Just a thin layer, on cleaned surfaces.

https://www.amazon.com/CRC-Brake-Cal...nthetic+Grease
Old 10-21-2016, 04:48 PM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

I got Honda Molykote 77 from my dealer, it is another one of those expensive greases from Honda, but it lasts a very long time and won't get washed out or dried out. It works better than any silicone grease or synthetic grease I've used in the past. I won't use anything else anymore.
Old 10-22-2016, 03:50 PM
Community Organizer

Here is what I've been using.

I posted the other stuff but knew that I had better, just couldn't remember exactly what it was.

Quick Reply: Which grease for caliper slide pins?