S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Greddy Oil Cooler Kit for S2K? Anyone have one on their cars?

Old 02-27-2003, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by vapors2k
I remember seeing pics of the spoon race car (N1 spec) and it was running an oil cooler. Whenever I get my oil pan finished (w/ baffles) I'll be able to find out what kind of oil temps I'm running at the track.

-ardy
How many did the car have? I specifically remember the car having an oil cooler for the differential, did it have another one as well?
Old 02-27-2003, 07:59 AM

I had a look at the Trust site ( see http://www.trust-power.com/honda/s2000/gre...oolkit_std.html ) and came up with this translation thru babelfish:

"GREX Oil Cooler Kit
* Grex oil cooler kit
(Standard type) thermostat to attach
Simple structure use of the hose * fitting of the EARL'S make and equipment et cetera of the thermostat, it is the oil cooler kit of the contents which are complete. "

Can't figure out what they mean. Any japanese reader care to translate? The kit is pictured in a post above.

BTW, price is about 390
Old 02-27-2003, 11:56 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by docofmind
[B]

How many did the car have?
Old 02-27-2003, 01:16 PM

Hmmm... I don't see a thermostat in the picture above of the system. Maybe they have it integrated with the oil filter tap sandwich? These are the thermostats I've found online.

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/filtmt.htm At the bottom.
http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/mocal.htm
Old 02-27-2003, 01:32 PM

my only beef with running extra coolers and such without a separate pump for it is the added amount of strain on the oil system. Although I might not be correct in this, I just don't see how an extra quart of oil flowing above the pan/pickup point will affect the rest of the system as more oil has to flow now from the oil filter part of the system.

-ardy
Old 02-27-2003, 01:52 PM

It sounds like the problems start when the oil falls below the temp of the coolant (170DF). If the oil is too cool then this could also cause damage. Am I understanding this correctly?
Old 02-27-2003, 02:13 PM

Asura, Correct. And that's why you want to use a thermostat to regulate the amount of cooling that takes place.

Vapor, Its the pressure drop across the filter system that you have to watch out for. I'm not sure what the actual value is but the pressure drop from a stock Honda oil filter might be relatively high. I'm pretty sure the stock filter has a high pressure bypass such that when the oil pressure is high the filter element is bypassed. In a well designed remote oil filter system it should be possible to make the pressure drop even less than stock thru the use of a high flow filter and large diameter hose etc. If you then add a thermostatically controlled oil cooler to the system you might be right back where you started from pressure drop wise but significantly better off thermally speaking.
Old 02-27-2003, 02:21 PM

Doc, The Spoon car had a cooler+pump combo for the Tranny as well as the Diff controlled by a single toggle switch. I don't recall if it had an engine oil cooler, though I cant imagine that it didn't.
Old 02-27-2003, 02:31 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by davepk
[B]Doc,
Old 02-27-2003, 02:37 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by davepk
[B]Doc,

Quick Reply: Greddy Oil Cooler Kit for S2K? Anyone have one on their cars?