S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Having trouble locating a coolant leak

Old 07-24-2012, 10:34 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Having trouble locating a coolant leak

I started noticing small puddles under my car about 2 weeks ago, but thought it was from the A/C unit. However, last week, while I was under the car looking for exhaust leaks with the engine running, I saw that it is actually leaking coolant. The coolant is coming from the right side of the block, right where it meets up with the transmission. There is actually dried up coolant on the block and trans housing, but I can't see where it comes from. The leak wasn't bad, and it goes totally away once the engine warms up, so I didn't put much effort into the search. However, now the leak is MUCH worse, and I'm losing a measurable amount of coolant from my reservoir each time I drive it. The leak does stop after it warms up, but I think it's obviously time I go to the next level to fix it.

If the coolant was leaking from through the head gasket, would it behave like this? I don't see any oil in the coolant, and I don't think there is any coolant in my oil (I haven't been near the car to check it). Has anyone had any problems with the heater hoses leaking near the firewall?

I am thinking about removing the OEM header or heat sheilds tonight to see if that will allow me to see where the leak comes from, but in the mean time, do any of you have any ideas?

FWIW, I had a leak last year from my Hondata IMG, but I replaced that with a new one, and put LOTS of effort into making sure the bolts were tightened correctly with LocTite Red. I also believe that if the IMG was the cause for this leak, I would be seeing the coolant on the LEFT side of the block, not the right.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:17 PM
Former Sponsor

After verifying that my oil was okay, I put the car up on jack stands, and started to remove the heat shields on the header to get a better look at the block. I could see some "green wetness" on the VIN plate that is right near the top / end of the block by the header. I think that is actually the transmission, but I see a trail of ewe leading from the cylinder head to that location. I decided to start the motor up, to see if I could really see coolant flowing from that location, but it didn't really seem to change. However, there was definitely coolant dripping on the ground.

Just to make sure the leak was really on that side of the block, I decided to lower the driver's side of the car, so that the block would lean that way too. When I did that, the coolant started running down both sides of the block. This makes me think that the leak is either running "down hill" along the edges of the head (assuming it's a head gasket issue), or something similar is happening after it leaks from the Hondata IMG. However, I still don't see any evidence that it's leaking from the IMG.

I put a box fan on top of the motor to cool it back down, then I'll check the torque on the IMG bolts...

Old 07-28-2012, 03:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Gernby,

I think I have similar problem.
I have leak under the engine bay to the spot where the intake manifold is.
The leak stops when the car is warmed up.
I don't have rough idle (everything running smooth), no oil in the coolant,no coolant in the oil, clean spark plugs,radiator fans works just fine.
Revs up normaly BUT after 3500rpm the coolant is "blowing". If I open the radiator cap I can see bubbles.
The car is s/c with Hondata intake gasket...
Any thoughts...

Sorry for hijacking your thread
Old 07-28-2012, 05:48 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

johny, sounds like head gasket or warped head.
to confirm/eliminate this reverse pressure head test is required.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Croc
johny, sounds like head gasket or warped head.
to confirm/eliminate this reverse pressure head test is required.
Thank you for your reply
Old 07-28-2012, 08:59 AM

Received 1,316 Likes on 797 Posts

I think all your problems (I have been PMing with s2johnyk) are originating from the hondata IMG.
With my personal experience with this piece, I think it should be thrown in the garbage with a few other s2k products out there.

There is a list of them. I have first hand experience with them, and have deemed them a gimmick. Is it right to call them out, or let s2k owners continue screwing up their cars?

So now its my time to ask advice
Old 07-28-2012, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250
I think all your problems (I have been PMing with s2johnyk) are originating from the hondata IMG.
With my personal experience with this piece, I think it should be thrown in the garbage with a few other s2k products out there.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:55 AM
Former Sponsor

I would start by checking the torque on the intake.manifold. If they are slightly loose, and the leak stops, then replace the gasket. I happen to like my hondata IMG, but have had issues with leaks. It seems that you have to get the right amount of over-torquing on the bolts and use loctite to have it last. My IMG never leaked in my '02 even after 75K miles.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:13 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250

There is a list of them. I have first hand experience with them, and have deemed them a gimmick. Is it right to call them out, or let s2k owners continue screwing up their cars?

So now its my time to ask advice

Enlighten us....
Old 07-28-2012, 03:05 PM
Former Sponsor

BTW, I just noticed that I forgot to update the thread that my leak was from the Hondata IMG, and retorquing the nuts fixed the leak. I haven't decided if I'm going to get a new IMG, or if I'm just going to "fix" the install of the one I have. I only know that I will continue to run a Hondata IMG, since I hate driving my brother's S2000 that has an OEM IMG.

Quick Reply: Having trouble locating a coolant leak