S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

header wrap? Jet-hot?

Old 08-29-2007, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default header wrap? Jet-hot?

all i've heard is mixed opinions about this for the last couple years, but i have always been rather intrigued to test out header wrap for myself.
what opinions does s2ki have about header wrap or jet-hot? what exactly is the point of doing either of these to a header on a 4 cylinder motor? according to jet-hot's web page it keeps the under hood temperature down by 50 degrees and will potentially add 3 horsepower to 'muscle engines.' But i don't think anything honda can classify as 'muscle.' lol
is the point of header wrap also to keep engine temperature down? and what are the pros and cons of each modification? i know that people don't like to risk wrapping their toda or other pricey headers because of the risk of breaking a weld, but is it worth wrapping a less expensive or stock header? and will there ever be any NOTICEABLE gains or advantages?
Old 08-29-2007, 09:48 PM

Only reason I've ever seen someone wrap a header for was to stop radient heat from melting nearby parts. This was on a 5.0L mustang though I doubt an s2k would have this problem...
Old 08-30-2007, 12:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

header wraps are know for rusting header, it wouldn't be a problem with SS header but those ceramic coated steel header will rust under the wrap.

i got two box of DEI from the turbo project and they are great
Old 08-30-2007, 01:05 AM

I have heard of headers cracking due to the wrap.

Old 08-30-2007, 04:23 AM

I used header wrap on my focus svt. It lowered underhood temps dramaticlly. Made it a lot easier to tinker around immediatly after or while the engine was running. That was the only bennifit. That and it looked cool and i guesse freed up some space because it eliminated the need of the heatsheild. I took my time. Used a good header paint to protect from rust and seal it up good. Baked it in my oven at home. It looked awesome. You must be extremley carefull to get absolutely no chemicals or lubricants on the wrap when your installing it into the car. Make sure its not near any oil leaks or drips if you have any.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:16 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Header wrap works well, but can lead to uneven cooling of the metal especially if the wrap gets wet from rain. Over time that can lead to cracking.

I've personally experienced that on a very expensive exhaust system. It lasted about a year after wrapping before falling apart.

For my expensive Toda header, I went the Jet-Hot route instead.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:35 AM

any power gains becasue of the lower engine temperatures?
Old 08-30-2007, 07:26 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Reducing the heat doesn't give gains per se, but it helps you keep what hp you have. Heat soak is a major issue on the s2k, so any methods you use to reduce under hood temps will help delay heat soak.

Probably the cheapest mod you can do to reduce under hood temps is to vent the hood. Search for the DIY hood venting. Looks sharp and really reduces heat.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:40 AM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

UTH temps on the S2k get so hot, jet hot is definitely a good idea. It has no harmful effects, and actually might help because jet hot coating is also on the inside of the header, making it smoother, and theoretically allowing air to flow through more quickly. Other things that will help are:
1. cooling plate over the radiator
2. aftermarket thermostat and thermoswitch
3. aftermarket rad cap
4. water wetter in radiator
5. vented hood

Also, if you have an aftermarket intake, you tend to get a lot of heat soak in traffic which causes engine bog.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:28 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm wraped up

I'v been Jet-Hot coated too

Quick Reply: header wrap? Jet-hot?