S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

HELP! : Fuel Cut even when Gas is pressed down

Old 04-16-2009, 05:00 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs down HELP! : Fuel Cut even when Gas is pressed down

Ive searched for awhile but i couldnt really find a solution.

But anyways,

This has been an on going issue for a couple months now. But i never really looked into until now.

So here is my problem:

Whenever i make a fairly HARD left turn.....LEFT TURN ONLY....never happens on right turns. Ill start to accelerate out of the corner and all of sudden it feels like im getting fuel cut. My foot will be planted to the ground but the revs are dropping slowly and the car is not accelerating. Its like the same feeling when you try and VTEC when the eng is cold.

Now, this happens more often and easier when my gas tank is at about half??. Its harder to do when my tank is full.

If I accelerate hard in 1st in a straightline and shift to 2nd when my tank is low with the gas light on....the same fuel cut issue will occur.

Im thinking it is my fuel pump that needs to be replaced but i dont know if these are the symptoms of a bad fuel pump.

If ANYONE could please help me out i would greatly appreciate it. I havent really had the time to get it checked out by a mechanic yet. But im hoping the S2k guru's will chime in on this.

thank you in advance!!

-kenny
Old 04-16-2009, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like with the fuel is moving around inside the tank therefore causing it to not reach the pump thus causing your engine not to get fuel. Your not able to easily recreate the problem when the tank is full because its closer to the pump at all times. I hope this makes sense. You might check fuel pressure just for the hell of it.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:04 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Left handers are notorious for causing fuel cuts in S2000s. Some are better than others. Usually not the fuel pump, but more related to the location of the fuel pickup.

There's not a great solution for it. Some people weld baffles in the tank, but most people just run more gas if they're going to go with sweepers.

I can get fuel cut with 1/2 tank and left hand sweepers autocrossing. Depending on the tires, I can get fuel cut even with 3/4 tank.

I've had them remove the fuel tank and replace to fuel filler sock to improve flow, but it is a known, chronic problem. We need a gas tank that's not square-ish.

If you're really feeling adventuresome, you can pull the fuel pump and take a look at your sock. But really, things are probably fine. Bad fuel pumps are pretty uncommon. I know it wasn't my problem because I had them replace the pump....

But if you pull it, you can check / clean the sock and install a new fuel pump yourself for cheap.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:49 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

CHECK YOUR OIL.

I had similar symptoms autocrossing a car with low oil. No warning light, but during turns there wasn't enough oil pressure to activate VTEC and it felt like a fuel cut.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:20 PM

i do need an oil change..maybe that will help.

the thing im concerned about is that it happens alot. and i dont even wanna go rip the local twisties with my buddies cause i dont want it to happen and have someone speed into the rear of my car.

Ive wanted to track my car as well and now im scared to cause im pretty sure ill be fuel cutting all over the place lol.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:44 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

If the oil level checks out okay, another quick check would be an OBD2 diagnostic scan. If that checks out okay, like others above suggested the only thing I could think of is a fuel pump/filter sort of thing.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:54 PM

cool.

Thanks alot everyone.

I wish it was something i could fix and it would be perfectly fine after. But i guess thats not the case.

This makes me wanna get rid of the car even more than i already do and get a Newer AP2.