S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

HELP! whining noise

Old 10-10-2007, 05:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! whining noise

so, i took my '02 s2000 to a honda/acura specialty shop and they said i need a new tranny. i'll give a description and see what you guys think. i've had the car for 5 thousand miles, i'm at 84,000 right now, it's just now due for a fluid change, and that's when all this started.

the car is in neutral sitting still i rev with the clutch out, whining noise (on a loudness scale of one to ten, i'd say a five)

the car is in neutral sitting still, clutch depressed, no noise and smoother rev.

driving aggressive to driving conservitive there is no change, no slipping, no grinding, a lot of down shift compression slowing noise, but no tell-tell signs of tranny problems.

some one help, i hope somone can pinpoint this. thanks

another thing to add, the clutch is aftermarket, not sure what it is, but it's stiff as hell.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:01 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Clutch Buzz?

it's an 02 so I wouldn't think so. But you never know.

Maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in.

edited your title
Old 10-10-2007, 06:02 AM

thanks!!
Old 10-10-2007, 06:03 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Does it do it when with the clutch out in a gear and decelerating?
Old 10-10-2007, 06:06 AM

yes, it does, but i can't pin point the noise, it sounds like the diff during deceleration, which would be normal, but yes, there is a noise.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:23 AM

wow, ok... so i thought i looked good before posting a repeat topic, but after further review i found that a lot of people have this problem, my clutch does the exact same thing as "revs" does in his clutch post, like one down from mine. i've had lots of cars with aftermarket clutches, and i just assumed i had one, maybe not after reading his post.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:18 AM

i'm still not certain on this, replies are still appriciated.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:02 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

dumbkid Posted on Oct 10 2007, 03:51 PM
the car is in neutral sitting still i rev with the clutch out, whining noise (on a loudness scale of one to ten, i'd say a five)
This is no clutch buzz.
In this case only the primairy shaft is spinning, and the gears on the countershaft and primairy shaft.
The countershaft itself and sec. reduction don't spin during this, the diff and propshaft don't spin either.

Typical clutch buzz is driving in 3rd @ 4000 rpm, let go of the throttle and decellerate, then you will hear a buzz from the gearbox, about where the clutch is.
Its technically harmless, just vibration or noise caused by loose springs in the clutch disk.

In your case:
Ask in a local forum if there is a meeting you can go to and have someone else listen to your gearbox, to compare.
Your noise may be normal, it may not be.
Noises are hard to diagnose over the net.

When was the trans oil changed last time?

Old 10-12-2007, 06:36 AM

tranny oil was changed two days ago after the problem (or not) presented it's self. i took it to the dealer and had them listen, i actually went to the back and pointed the noise out to them, they said it drove fine, and sounded fine to them. this noise happens when the the clutch is NOT engaged, then it goes away when clutch is engaged, also, it is louder at the 2500 to 3000 rpm mark. all this while sitting still, the noise is not as noticable during driving, it actually get's smoother in the higher rpm range, 6 to 9000. no gear slipage, no grinding, no tell-tell tranny problems at all, just the noise.

thanks for the reply

one thing to add, it's cooler in georgia now, after several days this summer of 100+ degree weather it's in the 60's as a low and 70's as a high, my point, the noise is less in the cold than the hot
Old 10-12-2007, 09:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dumbkid,Oct 10 2007, 08:51 AM
another thing to add, the clutch is aftermarket, not sure what it is, but it's stiff as hell.
This needs to be considered. If you have an after-market clutch then we know someone has had it apart and could have done something wrong, or maybe the clutch itself is defective. A transmission job is going to be expensive and I'd rule out other causes before going down that road. A bad bearing in the transmission could cause the whine but it will have no effect on the clutch pedal feel.

If, on the other hand, you have a stock clutch then it should NOT be stiff, it should be wimpy as hell, which means you DO have a clutch problem. I suggest finding some local S2000 owners and compare pedal feel in addition to the noise. You may find some owners that have after-market clutches and you can experience what they feel like too.

The good news is that if you decide to pull the tranny for repair you will be able to check out the clutch before doing transmission job.

Quick Reply: HELP! whining noise