S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

How do I seperate the radio door from the console?

Old 12-11-2001, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I seperate the radio door from the console?

The radio door on the center console needs to be replaced and I have, in my possession, a new door. The problem is how to get the old door off! Any ideas? Help me please!

If you know the page number in Helm manual, you are smarter than I. Looked all over and it is not in there.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Mark

P.S. - There better be some freak'n replies!!
Old 12-11-2001, 08:24 PM

The whole door unit or just the front, folding-down part? If you just want to remove the whole thing, just pull, hard (towards the shifter). For just the folding door, pull, hard, then talk to Rick or someone that's removed it.
Old 12-11-2001, 09:29 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pellisS2k
[B]The whole door unit or just the front, folding-down part?
Old 12-12-2001, 03:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lips2000,
I have just replaced the flip door from the assembly not too long ago. I replaced my fine original radio door with more snazzy 02' red radio door.
I was going to post on how to do it and during installation photos.
But it wasn't easy! And the risk of damaging the original door when in removal is very high so I held back. However if the original door is for some reason damaged and you are replacing with new one that really doesn't matter.
Hope I make sense when I put it into words. It is kind of hard just explaining without the picture but it is actually quite easy.
_____
[____]

The hinges on the door is held in place by two special pins which is flex type. The only way to get those pins out is by pushing them outward which is where the difficulty comes in.
You need some sort of like an ice pick type tool with long and slim yet it has strong end that can fit the inside hole that is partially visible from the door. Also since the pin is hollow you can't use the pick that has sharp or narrow point because you won't be able get a good contact with the pin and to push to the pin out, so you need the tool's point that is bit narrower than the holes but not too pointy. You can sort of judge how big the pin is because you can easily see the hole size from outside hole.
One problem is that when the outside holes are clearly visible, the inside holes are not, they are partially blocked by the door's hinges. So you will be using the pick's point which can fit through the blocked inside holes.
When you are in the process of pushing the pins out you will damage or marr the door's plastic but since you are going to replacing it it really doesn't matter.
You don't have to be a superman to do this but you need to have some fair amount of strengh. With some perseverance and fair amount of grunting the pin should start to come out from the ends. When you push out enough you can yank them out using plier or any grip type tools.

Before completely removing the pins and the door, take care in examining how the spring is situated on the assembly on the left side. You will be needing to put it back when you install the new door. Because of my limited linguistic skill I rather not go into any detail on installing the new door with spring so I am really hoping you can figure that out on your own.
If you can't really do it because you lack tool, maybe you can ship it to me and I will do it for you but that is only as last resort.

Good luck buddy.

I may try to grab some photos to show you how to but you have to give me some time.
Old 12-12-2001, 05:09 AM
Community Organizer

Received 91 Likes on 76 Posts

They do sell a whole replacement.......door/vents and all. Its easy.........I will PM you with a link on how to install a radio. You can just use the part that takes out the whole door assembly.

YOU HAPPY NOW YOU GOT YOUR $##@$%#$% REPLIES.
Old 12-12-2001, 07:58 AM

Thanks Randy. That is what I kinda figured. Started down that path and thought there has to be a better way!! Guess not. Will try it tonight. Wish me luck.

Pinky: If your reply was worth anything, I might have been happy to see your post, but since it was worthless drivel...still not to happy!! Thanks for the PMs BTW...freak!

Mark
Old 12-12-2001, 08:40 AM
Community Organizer

Received 91 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally posted by Lips2000
Thanks Randy. That is what I kinda figured. Started down that path and thought there has to be a better way!! Guess not. Will try it tonight. Wish me luck.

Pinky: If your reply was worth anything, I might have been happy to see your post, but since it was worthless drivel...still not to happy!! Thanks for the PMs BTW...freak!

Mark
Your welcome for the drivel............and hello the freak is the chick that was caught getting into the cab at S2K Days BTW! Or do you not remember that.
Old 12-12-2001, 10:04 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pinky
[B]...the chick that was caught getting into the cab at S2K Days BTW!
Old 12-12-2001, 02:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

See my website...
Old 12-12-2001, 09:40 PM

I just wanted to thank all those who helped...except Pinky who didn't help squat!

Changed the door out tonight. Dremmeled a littel little valley on the old door so i could slip in a 2mm hex wrench in the hole where the pins are. Worked great! Door look new (b/c it is) and all is well. Thanks again Randy for your words of encouragement and for pointing out the spring. Never saw that coming!!

Mark

Quick Reply: How do I seperate the radio door from the console?