S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

How to strenthen the engine for nitrous

Old 04-13-2003, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to strenthen the engine for nitrous

Just curious if and how you could stengthen the engine for nitrous injection. I'm not a fool and i don't mean beefing it up so it can handle a 200 shot I just want to know what i can do to feel safer about running a 50shot direct port from NX. I know the pistons are forged, which helps a lot, and the engine is allready pretty strong to start off with. What else can i do though?? Thnx,

Brandon
Old 04-13-2003, 09:02 PM

The only real way to strenghten the engine is if you do a complete rebuild (pistons and rods). You can run up to 100 shot on a stock motor if you do it the right way. It's all about tunning. Nitrous doesn't blow motors, people's stupidity does. I've seen people blow motors with a 50 shot. Then again, I know people that have been running 100 shot for almost 3 years now, and still no problem.

Wallace
Old 04-13-2003, 09:17 PM

Sounds pretty much like what i think too. I plan on having it dyno tuned, and don't plan on using it more than once a month..... probably a lot lot less. I just like knowing its there. I suppose you could hot tank a the block, but would you gain anything.... Also, that would be crazy expensive to tear it down and put it back together again. Anyone else??

Brandon
Old 04-14-2003, 04:49 AM

50 Shot? The engine is fine as is. Some direct port rigs can't even be set that low! If the engine and management it is operating correctly and the extra oxygen from the Nitrous receives the right amount of extra fuel at safe RPMs and conditions. In each cylinder, at all times.

To be and feel safe you need add-ons that prevent or end nitrous hits when all is not well. Things like fuel pressure switches, two nitrous solenoids (in case one jams open), nitrous and fuel filters (cuts solenoid jams and keeps junk out of motor) , proper leak proof and durable plumbing, safe component environment (not 1 inch from headers), blow down tubes, window RPM switches (nitrous between two RPMS only, say 3500 Rs to 100 Rs before fuel cut) , tuned spark retard, colder spark plugs, sufficient octane, enhanced ignition power if needed, safe AFR sensor/switches, WOT (or close) only, even progressive controllers to ease the initial hit, bottle warmers that are pressure and or temp controlled, warmed-up and broken-in engine only, strong clutch, high quality switches, warning lights and gages...

The low priced generic kits include few if any of the above features.

Stan
Old 04-14-2003, 05:33 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by E30M3
[B]50 Shot?
Old 04-14-2003, 11:20 AM

Yes dont do what a local speed shop by the name of Race Related did. 130 shot of direct port nitrous and nothing else oh and they said they were pros at what they were doing. Engine lasted 2 weeks then BBOOOOMMMMMMMMMM.
Old 04-14-2003, 11:54 AM

Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts

here's a site I like: www.noswizard.com

I actually agree with E30M3, his was actually quite a comlete list, and with proper tuning and progressive injection, you'll get smooth and reliable power, and maybe a lot of it, and it's not as complicated as it sounds. I say do it right the first time, then you won't have to buy a new no2 kit AND a new motor.....
Old 04-14-2003, 12:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm still debating between Nitrous ($500) or Supercharger ($4,000). Either or they will be install by a PRO. I want more power, but their is a $3500 difference.

Chris C.
Old 04-14-2003, 01:29 PM

Originally posted by SC-SUZUKA
I'm still debating between Nitrous ($500) or Supercharger ($4,000). Either or they will be install by a PRO. I want more power, but their is a $3500 difference.

Chris C.
nitrous done the right way will not cost $500
Old 04-14-2003, 02:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, lets say the right way$1000. That is still a $3000 difference.

Chris C.

Quick Reply: How to strenthen the engine for nitrous