S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

I need help/tips on fitting a Carbon Trunk(boot)!?!?!

Old 03-04-2004, 01:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I need help/tips on fitting a Carbon Trunk(boot)!?!?!

If there is already a thread on this matter then Mod's please feel free to deleate this, but I searched for about 40 minutes and couldn't really find much other than take the torsion springs out with pliers.

I know there is a how to fit a CF hood but nothing on the trunk, could we maybe start a how to with the trunk??

Any help is more than welcome

Thanks in advance.

Andy
Old 03-04-2004, 05:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much lighter is the carbon trunk than the stock one? I'm thinking of getting one too.
Old 03-04-2004, 07:50 AM

I honestley didn't think there was going to be much difference in weight but Foook me, I took the stock one off and thought it was quite light but then I picked up the CF trunk & it's at least 1/2 of the weight of the stock one.

C'mon guys loads of you have got CF trunks on here, throw me a bone

Andy
Old 03-04-2004, 10:05 AM
Former Moderator

Andy which trunk did you get? I can give you some advice but you won't like it.
Old 03-04-2004, 11:06 AM

I have a CF trunk so I'll chime in...

You need to disconnect the 3rd brake light and trunk release wires from your stock trunk. Then remove the four bolts that hold the stock trunk on and set everything aside.

Then put on your CF trunk WITHOUT the latch to test fitment. Chances are you'll have to round out the holes on your truck arms to get the clearance even on all sides(I did anyway)

Once you're happy with fitment, transfer your brake light and latch to the cf unit. MAKE SURE YOU CONNECT THE LATCH RELEASE PLUG otherwise you'll have a locked truck that you can't open.

I was running a stock wing on my factory trunk, and yes the CF is quite a bit lighter. Hope this helps.
Old 03-04-2004, 11:55 AM

Andy which trunk did you get? I can give you some advice but you won't like it.
Turbo I got the trunk from Importfan very good weave quality, any advice is welcome mate as I've got the trunk now so it dont matter if its good or bad

Thanks John, I've put it on to test fit but its bowed at one side & I'm told that I have to remove the release springs to sort it out but I ain't 100% sure, I do remember a couple of other people saying this when they first got theirs & removing the springs sorted it.

Thanks alot

Andy
Old 03-04-2004, 12:08 PM
Former Moderator

Andy, yeah if you can just take the springs out, it'll alleviate some of your problems. Unfortunately, from experience, every CF trunk I've seen does not have a OEM like fit. I don't know why, it just doesn't seem correct. I haven't seen an Amuse trunk in person, so I can't comment on that. What I did with mine is mark off where the bolts were before I removed the OEM trunk and tried my hardest to line them up the same. You'll notice that you have room there to play with the fitting.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:22 PM

Thanks turbo, I've seen most of the carbon stuff that comes off the boat and most of it shite!!!, it took me ages(over a year) to decide what & who to buy off, but the gtp stuff looked the best(for the cost)plus I got the full set from them TS "style hood, trunk, side sills, rear skirt, carnards & front bumper. now i'm just waiting for the fenders to be ready & I'm there

Andy
Old 04-16-2004, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i got my trunk yesterday, and am having i guess the same problems, it bows on the driver side quite a bit. i did have a bow on the passenger side, but was able to get rid of that one by removing the part that the lock latches onto, dremmeling it out, and lowering it. but cant get rid of the driver side bow to save my life. how do you take out the springs? also, what are everyones opinions on removing the driver side hinge, dremmeling it out where it attaches in the trunk, and lowering that?