S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Idle Air Control valve parts needed -- help!

Old 08-09-2011, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle Air Control valve parts needed -- help!

Need some help with some parts that are not available for purchase without buying an entire new IAC valve. I took apart my IAC valve to clena it, and neglected to put locktite on the little star headed bolts that hold the black plastic control selenoid to the actual IAC valve body. I was hoping someone might have a broken valve, or something they could sell me one of those bolts off of, and I also need the two little flat washers that go between the selenoid and the valve body that the small black star headed bolts go through. I can rig something up if it comes down to it, but figured I would ask here for the correct parts before I do. Thanks in advance, and please just send me a PM if you have either of these items, Thanks!
Old 08-09-2011, 09:30 AM

Received 1,316 Likes on 797 Posts

bolt is a 4MM, .70 pitch, length is 26mm.

Those bolts dont need locktite, they just need to be tight. If you loose the spacer plates (you called them flat washers) in between the IAC motor and IAC valve, the bolts will not be able to clamp down properly and will come loose.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ahh Gotcha, Thanks for the info Billman! I actually just now stopped by home depot on my lunch break, and realized it was a standard 4mm x.7 pitch bolt. I picked up some 25mm & 30mm allen heads, sounds like I'll be using the 25mm. I just got a little worried, and figured it was some odd pitch when I wasn't able to find anything in my spare bolts bin last night. ;-)

That's good info about the spacer plates though, I wondered about those. I am positive they were in there when I re-assembled the IAC's though. As I still have the one of them, and this is actually the SECOND IAC valve that has had those exact same bolts back out on me! I had an extra IAC valve I pulled off another intake manifold the first time this happened. Ok, well it sounds like I will be using some washers (ideally) of as close to the same thickness as the spacers since I only have one spacer. At least, until I can come up with some replacements. But I will certainly be putting locktite on those bolts this time anyway. I cleaned and re-assembled both IAC valves at the same timebefore the first one lost its bolts on me. And then just swapped the whole valve out for the spare the second time. I have the correct security bit for the bolts, so I cant imagine I left them loose on BOTH valves, but who knows?

I was apparently overly long worded in this story But hopefully this will help someone else if this happens to them. And if anyone does have any extra spacer washers, or the OEM bolts they will sell, please PM me! Thanks!

Originally Posted by Billman250
bolt is a 4MM, .70 pitch, length is 26mm.

Those bolts dont need locktite, they just need to be tight. If you loose the spacer plates (you called them flat washers) in between the IAC motor and IAC valve, the bolts will not be able to clamp down properly and will come loose.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:47 PM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Special thanks to Billman for the measurements--super precise and helpful.

I ended up with two stripped bolts (the "star" or "pinacle" point bolts) on the IAC and somehow managed to get them off. Then I hand-tightened them and drove to Home Depot--they got loose by the time I pulled into the parking lot.

I was able to find hex bolts that were 4MM with a length of 25mm. Unfortunately they're not exact, but it looks like a decent fit. Thanks again!