S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Innovative Motor Mount questions

Old 05-08-2012, 09:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Innovative Motor Mount questions

Drivers side motor mount is toast. So I need to replace it I originally had planned on swapping in the innovative motor mounts 75A for street use. I have an inlinepro stage 1 kit the car is still a daily driver I'm not trying to break any speed records just want an enjoyable ride. I've read most of the posts about the mounts including the nightmare story from LEARNERSPERMIT.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/875...t+motor+mounts

This member seems to love his innovative mounts and the install seems pretty straight forward.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/932...+mount+install

The questions I have are do these mounts transfer a considerable amount of vibration to the car?
Would it be better if I just went with OEM Mounts again (even though they fail)?
if I do get the Innovative mounts do I have to do the trans mount as well?
Old 05-08-2012, 09:19 AM

is there another possibly better company then innovative making motor mounts. Megan Racing offers a motor mount set but they are like $50 more and look exactly like the stock mounts, I'd much rather have a tighter ride.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed these mounts after I discovered mine were trashed (torn completely off on both sides)

I too went with the 75A stiffness.

It does increase vibration very noticeably. However, I may have purchased my car with torn mounts, so I don't have a good baseline. Further, I don't know if I got used to it or the material sort of got "worn in", but I don't think its as bad as the first time I drove it. Now, mine is not a daily driver, but more of an autocross & weekend fun car.

A 3k rpm, its seems to be the peak resonance where vibration seems to be the worst, but I've gotten used to it and I don't regret going with these instead of another set of OEM mounts.

I did install the trans mount too. My shift knob used to move alot when cruising in 6th, but this pretty much removed all of that. I read that horror story about the install too and I payed close attention to the length of the bolts and making sure everything was threaded correctly before tightening it down. Going slow, it probably took me about 2 hours to do both mounts and trans mount.

The car feels very tight and it seems to have a better torque response (probably the engine was literally lifting off the mounts with my broken OEM mounts). I would buy them again.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:29 AM

How much of a pain was it to do the trans mount? Did you use an engine hoist to install the mounts or did you just use a jack on the bottom of the engine?

great info I'm probably going to snag a 75A mount this weekend where ever I find it at a decent price.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:39 AM

I found the best price on ebay. $270 ish for the set of 3 mounts, but I would check with vendors on the site first. I needed mine right away to fix before I raced again, so I didn't have time to shop around other than google and ebay.

During the install, I had my car in the air anyway doing suspension work. So I had the car on jack stands at all 4 corners and I used my jack to support the engine - I did use a 2x4 to spread the load and cushion it against the oil pan, which is cast aluminium so be very careful with it.

I actually did the trans mount first, that was very easy! I did need the jack to support the trans and get some lift on the drive train to get the old mount out and new mount in.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:37 PM

Thanks for the info. I'm of monday tuesday so I'll be getting into it next week. Did you get the differential mounts too? Figure while I'm under the car might as well get it all done.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:50 PM

Received 1,253 Likes on 763 Posts

I think the vibration that is transmitted through the innovative mounts is horrible and I would not recommend them to anyone.

I would get oem, then get an ingalls damper to extend their life dramatically.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250
I think the vibration that is transmitted through the innovative mounts is horrible and I would not recommend them to anyone.

I would get oem, then get an ingalls damper to extend their life dramatically.
Is there a technical reason you wouldn't recommend them? I know the nightmare that can occur when they're not installed correctly.

You know your stuff, which is why I'm asking is there a technical reason or if its more of a comfort reason that you wouldn't recommend them?

I also can't install a torque damper per autocross class rules.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:24 AM

Received 1,253 Likes on 763 Posts

You don't need technical.

Sit in any s2k with innovative engine mounts and hit the starter button.

You'll be sold on my non-recommendation right there. It literally feels like the entire car is coming apart.

There is absolutely no reason, benefit, or upside to them. At all.

Put a professional driver behind the wheel, and ask him his opinion on the mounts. Ask if they transmit "better power" to the ground. He'll tell you the car feels like garbage as is not worth a lap on the track.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:40 AM

Agree to disagree... Does it change the character of the car considerably? Yes. Useless? Maybe not to everyone.

Quick Reply: Innovative Motor Mount questions