S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Under The Hood (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/)
-   -   Installed ACT PP + OEM everything else. Something's not right. Please help (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/installed-act-pp-oem-everything-else-somethings-not-right-please-help-1182046/)

chilicoke 02-19-2018 03:08 PM

Yes. transmission fluid was just done 7k miles (1.5 years ago), didn't open the tranny to do this clutch job.

Seems like the general consensus is that this sounds normal. Perhaps I'm just paranoid because I seem to remember my stock clutch was silent.

thanks!

Tempest-Blue 02-19-2018 03:40 PM

Functionally, I don't think it hurts anything, just annoying. My car did the same thing until I changed my clutch at 70k miles. Pretty much same set up as you. I noticed that the springs on the old friction disk were pretty loose inside the cages so that could be the cause of the sound.

starchland 02-19-2018 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by chilicoke (Post 24422238)
Given the shape of this cars friction disk I don't think it's physically possible to install the friction disk backwards.

looking at the friction disc in front of me I would agree with you.
did you verify you have some free play when released ?

chilicoke 02-19-2018 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Tempest-Blue (Post 24422290)
Functionally, I don't think it hurts anything, just annoying. My car did the same thing until I changed my clutch at 70k miles. Pretty much same set up as you. I noticed that the springs on the old friction disk were pretty loose inside the cages so that could be the cause of the sound.

Actually loose spring on friction disk was the exact reason I did this clutch job. At only 62k miles clutch started to make constant buzzing/rattling noise and when I pulled it out this weekend two of the 4 springs have no tension and loose inside the cage.

Everything that went in for this install are brand new, that's why I'm a little paranoid after hearing this (new to me) sound.

Originally Posted by starchland (Post 24422291)

looking at the friction disc in front of me I would agree with you.
did you verify you have some free play when released ?

Yes I have some pedal free play when released. If anything my issue is engagement point is too low 1-2" from the floor. Will report back after I rebleed it again.
​​

Mijae007 02-19-2018 04:26 PM

Just want to give my exp for reference. I have the exact same setup in mine. There was no chatter and honestly your setup now sounded like my stock setup before. Also, my clutch engagement point remained just about exactly the same as before basically 2/3rds of the way up but with a very slightly stiffer pedal feel.
I also think it is very important in the sequence you tighten down the clutch bolts. Also not to overtighten them making sure by using a torque wrench uniformly tightening all bolts to the same spec in a step by step process (first to 5, then 10, so on and so forth).

afzan 02-19-2018 04:51 PM

did you grease everything as detailed in the service manual?

starchland 02-20-2018 07:24 AM

It is normal for the springs to have some movement. Is your clutch fork loose maybe? All your bearings are ok?

chilicoke 02-20-2018 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Mijae007 (Post 24422307)
Just want to give my exp for reference. I have the exact same setup in mine. There was no chatter and honestly your setup now sounded like my stock setup before. Also, my clutch engagement point remained just about exactly the same as before basically 2/3rds of the way up but with a very slightly stiffer pedal feel.
I also think it is very important in the sequence you tighten down the clutch bolts. Also not to overtighten them making sure by using a torque wrench uniformly tightening all bolts to the same spec in a step by step process (first to 5, then 10, so on and so forth).

Originally Posted by afzan (Post 24422315)
did you grease everything as detailed in the service manual?

Yup, followed and greased as per service manual

Originally Posted by starchland (Post 24422514)
It is normal for the springs to have some movement. Is your clutch fork loose maybe? All your bearings are ok?

Nothing is loose as far as I can tell.

Seems like the general consensus is that a little bit of sound from throw out bearing is normal, that gives me all the confidence I needed.

I re-bleed the clutch, it does feel better now, also adjusted the clutch pedal travel via both where it connects to the clutch master cylinder and the up position end stop. Pedal has a little bit of slop before pushing against the CMC but the clutch engagement point is still pretty low, about 3/4th of the pedal travel, is there anyway to get it adjusted up to around 1/4th of pedal travel besides the two nuts mentioned above? I'm already running out of adjustment range on the master cylinder rod thread.

Thanks again

Topplayer 02-20-2018 10:34 AM

sounds alittle louder than normal but it does sound normal. I had the same problem with my car, I gave up and swapped the pressure plate(mugen) and dropped all the noise. ACT while performs well but the noise got to me...

HawkeyeGeoff 02-20-2018 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by starchland (Post 24422180)
Can the friction disc be installed backwards? I don't know since I've never tried.

Yes it can, but it'll usually just slip if it is.