S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Installed Prm Intake...review!

Old 09-05-2003, 11:30 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Installed Prm Intake...review!

Whats up guys......I installed my PRM intake yesterday, and got to drive it around today....here is my review....

Install.....cake! The hardest part for me was taking the stock airbox out. The hoses didnt want to come off, but after a little elbow grease, they gave way. Once thats done.....it was cake...the install of the intake itself....if you know how to use a screwdriver is a joke.....15 minutes tops....For 1hp less that aem/injen, I would much rather have this install than have to cut my car and all that.....

Impressions....best sound difference to me would be from 3-5k RPM....throatier and meaner......

VTEC sounds great.....sounds like a camaro with borlas running in the next room..if you know what I mean.....

Idle....sounds quieter to me....

Gas mileage....improved about 10%...got 27.5mpg in TRAFFIC!!!

Throttle response...I think/feel has been improved....not as much engine bog anymore.....

Butt dyno says

One complaint is that its a little "cheap" feeling. The pipe is real thin and the plastic filter housing looks/feels like a TOYS R US toy.

Other than that, I am very happy and recommend it with no reservation.....

MY friend has an INJEN one on his RSX Type S and I like the sound or PRM better than INJEN....

Also...didnt catch his name, but the person I spoke to on the phone was very friendly, informative, and a joy to deal with. THANK YOU PRM!

_Dave
Old 09-06-2003, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thx for the review.

have you cut out the faux air duct, esp. on the passenger side? that is supposed to help bring cool air to the PRM.
Old 09-06-2003, 10:20 AM

Is the PRM a horn style intake, or does it feed down toward the ground like an AEM? Any concerns of water getting in?
Old 09-06-2003, 10:34 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by munckee
[B]Is the PRM a horn style intake, or does it feed down toward the ground like an AEM?
Old 09-06-2003, 10:51 AM
Banned

but hot air will
Old 09-06-2003, 11:26 AM
Former Moderator

well....although I do understand that it is "hot" under the hood......

Remember one thing tho....although its hot to us....the temp where the horn gets its air from is a LOT cooler than the engine itself.....

Second, I used a thermometer to check the temp INSIDE the stock airbox vs the horn and the difference was really big...the stock airbox retains heat like crazy.

I dont care tho....there is def no LOSS of power and the sound and gas mileage alone is worth it!
Old 09-06-2003, 11:45 AM

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by NFRs2000NYC
[B]One complaint is that its a little "cheap" feeling.
Old 09-06-2003, 12:31 PM

Well, either one of two things has happened:
(1) PRM changed its filer
(2) the different fuel mapping in the 02 and up ECUs compensates for bad filter.
I'm glad it worked out for you. PRM is by far the best sounding intake.
If you want to improve the function of the intake, dremmel out the faux vent on the passenger's side. This will get cold air up there, at speed.
The PRM is not a TRUE CAI i.e. it does suck hot air from the engine bay, making the removal of the faix vent even more important. Also, getting one of the Z-tec heatshields might help some.
cheers.
Old 09-06-2003, 01:05 PM
Former Moderator

Hey pete...what did you use for paint...did you have a shop do it? or did you just spray paint it???

Thanks bro.....

Also...I dont really get how cutting the fake duct will improve airflow any more that the hole that already exists in the fender well...could anyone elaborate?

Thanks again,

_-Dave
Old 09-06-2003, 01:12 PM

The Hole that is there gets some cold air, from underneath the car when moving at speed. Now, if you dremmel out the faux vent, then there is a direct line from the front of the car to the intake. When moving at Speed, this rams air right up to the intake.

Quick Reply: Installed Prm Intake...review!