S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Interesting numbers

Old 02-28-2002, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting numbers

I just came back from a run using my new OBD-2 software/connector/wiring kit. I am a bit puzzled by the almost real time data numbers I saw. First of all I have the Injen CAI with cut out air scoop.

The ambient air temp is 48F. As I was driving around for 5 minutes or so my intake air temp varied from 142 sitting on my driveway waiting for the car to heat up and setting up software to 89F driving on the road under full throttle.

The cold air intake tubing feels colder then heck to the touch but the readings say the charge is hotter. Why? Any thoughts?

Also, I never approached ambient air intake temps. The 5 minutes was probably too short of a time span, but the cooler air should have been detected lower then 89F.

Another item I observed was my TPS sensor never hit 100% for WOT. Only 90% at WOT. In addition, at idle my TPS sensor would read 5%. I also have the ProFlow TB. I will attempt to adjust it further tomorrow morning. For now I'll go to sleep puzzled and thinking maybe my car has a bit more potential.

Jose

If this doesn't make any sense, I'll rewrite it tomorrow!
Old 02-28-2002, 11:05 PM
Banned

LOL....what a baby...can't type coherently at 1 AM...You're getting old dude! j/k

Where is the intake temp reading taken? If past the TB, it could be the whole coolant heating up the intake manifold and TB issue. I would suggest taking the car out on the highway for a longer time, say, 15 minutes or so. Also, if you want, we can try out my car to see if I get similar results!

Blake
Old 03-01-2002, 08:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two things:

1. The TPS reading. According to the FSM, it should read around 6% at closed throttle at idle, so you're o.k. there. I couldn't find a reference for WOT, but 90% is probably not bad. Once the car gets into WOT mode, it just looks at MAP pressure and rpm. Usually the Honda ECUs go WOT map between 80% and 90%. So don't sweat that one too much.

2. Intake air temps. The sensor in the car is located in the intake manifold. Thus, air has to pass over the throttle body and intake manifold, both of which are heated up by coolant to the tune of 180-200 F. Thus, if air is passing over surfaces that hot, you can expect them to gain heat. Bypassing collant and running an intake manifold insulator gasket can make large differences. Also, don't forget that under the hood is pretty warm too. If the intake tube remains cold, where is the heat going? Into the intake charge as the air flows through the tube. Insulating the tube with some wrap would probably keep intake temps down by at least 5-10F.

UL
Old 03-01-2002, 09:59 AM

For some more info on the manifold and temps:

http://www.s2000.org/mods/insulator/
Old 03-01-2002, 10:33 AM

Marcucci - have you worked out all the bugs on this? I may be interested in this mod this coming spring. Summers here in Riverside are 100 degrees+, so anything I can do to cool the intake gets my attention.

What was the total budget on this? Time? Money?
Old 03-01-2002, 10:46 AM

This is very interesting and it's obvious to me that there will be more power due to the lower IAT.

However, before installing the insulating gasket, the manifold acted as a heat sink (with detriment to the incoming air). My question is, where is that heat being disappated now? Is the engine temp higher as a result of the insulating gasket, and would the increased heat cause increased engine wear?
Old 03-01-2002, 10:49 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rasputin314
[B]This is very interesting and it's obvious to me that there will be more power due to the lower IAT.
Old 03-01-2002, 11:22 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rasputin314
[B] My question is, where is that heat being disappated now?
Old 03-01-2002, 11:23 AM

Rev,

If you're interested, we'll be swapping on the gasket on my car next week in Torrance. We're putting on a port matched manifold and oversize TB, so we thought we'd do the gasket at the same time.

Given Todd's experiences/recommendations I think we can avoid the issues he found. My installer works directly with Hondata (they're only a couple blocks apart) and runs the gaskets on his 10 second all motor cars.

PM me if you want to drop by when we do it. It'll probably be mid week.

UL
Old 03-01-2002, 11:44 AM

Originally posted by cdelena
But this is a pretty common technique and after talking with Todd I have purchased the gasket. Will try to schedule a day for install after a mid-March track date.
Will you try the installation yourself, Cdelena? I have felt the benefits of cooler air intake and know that the intake manifold can get quite warm at slower speeds, with manifold and tb bypassed. I may get this gasket and have it installed by UL's installer.

Quick Reply: Interesting numbers