S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Intermittent Electrical Problem.... (long)

Old 09-10-2002, 06:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent Electrical Problem.... (long)

I'll give a little history to the problem before I go into the gorey details.

Last week, I began to notice that when I started the car, the car didn't seem to start as quickly and with as much conviction as it had before. That started on Wednesday, or maybe Tuesday. Well, on Friday morning, it was pretty noticable, but I was heading for work, so I didn't think about it as much as I should. Well, I was going to leave work, and the car wouldn't start! The dash lit up, and the stereo came on, but when I pressed the start button, it made a little noise but did not start.
I popped the hood, and checked the battery, and the indicator on the battery said that it needed charging. (The battery light/charging indicator light never came on though.) So I had a friend jump-start the car, and it started. So I immediately drove to Beaverton Honda, and when I got there, I stopped the car, and then started it again...and it started just fine. So I talk to a service guy, and he says that they are all booked up and that I'd need to bring it back in on Monday, since it seemed to be starting fine while I was there. So I get back in the car and it starts up fine, so I drive back home.
On saturday I try starting the car again, and it starts just fine, but the battery still says that it needs a charge, so I take it for a cruise to try to charge up the battery. It was dark by the time I get back in, but the car it still starting just fine. I let the car sit until Sunday afternoon, and when I try to start it, whamo, nothing at all. (the battery is still showing that it needs charging) So I try to jump-start the car, and that dosen't work. It got to the point where the digital tach and spedo wouldn't even display, just the warning lights would. So I give up for the evening, and hope for better luck on Monday. I tried to locate a replacement battery, but all the parts stores were closed.
Monday rolls around and I try to start it again, and it's the sape story as the night before. So I try to jump-start it, and I get nothing. I even let the other car fast idle for a while, trying to charge the battery up a little, but still nothing. So I take the battery out, and get to the service dept right when they open, and I get a new battery to put in the car. I get back home, and put the new battery in, and it still dosen't start!!!
So I wake my g-friend up to help me bump start the car, and when I put the top down so she can hear me tell her what to do, I try starting it again, and it works fine! So I turn the engine off, and start it again, and it works fine. So I drive to work, as I'm already 1.5 hours late, and at lunch a friend and I go out to see if the alternator is not working. I Try to start it and again, it dosen't start! So we both fiddle with the connections that we can find, and try to start it with no luck, and then I close the hood, and try it again, and it seems to work then.
So again, I drive it to the service dept, and It starts up fine for them, but they take it anyways, as it needs an electrical diagnostics.

I'm scared that this is going to be a intermittent electrical problem that they are not going to be able to find...has anyone on here had this problem?
Old 10-17-2002, 03:56 PM

No help, friend, but I had a similar experience today. The car started and ran fine when I went to work this morning, but when I tried to leave my office this afternoon, I turned the key, and hit the Start button, all I heard was a click, then nothing. A friend and I tried to jump start it, but to no avail. I'll let you know how this turns out.
Old 10-17-2002, 03:59 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It is just a battery going south.. replace it and you will be fine.
Old 10-17-2002, 04:15 PM

Not sure, but have you considered it might be the key? A few of the details you mentioned (like battery needing charging) don't fit the symptoms. But, if it starts some times but not others.... Could be the key.

Does the little green key light stay on when you try to start the car?

As I said, this is a long shot, since some of your symptoms are unrelated... but hey who knows.

-- Robert
Old 10-17-2002, 06:07 PM

have your starter checked out.. the bendix may have gone bad
Old 10-17-2002, 06:36 PM

Received 1,244 Likes on 759 Posts

Sounds like faulty connections between the starter and batt or a faulty starter itself.