S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Jacking up our s2000 from the rear

Old 03-19-2015, 12:45 PM

Received 3,378 Likes on 2,454 Posts

I agree with everyone and I also go a bit overboard with extra supports in addition to jackstands where possible. Wit the exhaust system the hangers can get a bit sticky at times , so if you have to do some tugging do it from outside of the vehicle, rather than underneath, just in case it upsets the balance of the vehicle. Some good lube on the hangers helps.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:46 PM

Received 158 Likes on 121 Posts

4 stands or a hoist. There is no other alternative unless you want to run the risk of being crushed by your car because you were too cheap to get yourself 2 more stands.

Your life > ~$50

You can then use the jack to help support the exhaust as you remove it.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:00 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

4 jack stands = you won't be dead by accident = new exhaust to annoy your neighbours = win!

darcy
Old 03-26-2015, 06:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys, s2ki is probably the safest car community . Other forums are just saying that nothing will happen as long as the front wheels are chocked.

Hmm, nobody is mentioning anything about ramps. Since I'm not talking about taking off my wheels, ramps seems like a really good idea. I'm thinking about the RhinoGear 11909 as well as a second pair of stands.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:41 AM

Received 1,563 Likes on 929 Posts

Originally Posted by jXxviii
Thanks guys, s2ki is probably the safest car community . Other forums are just saying that nothing will happen as long as the front wheels are chocked.

Hmm, nobody is mentioning anything about ramps. Since I'm not talking about taking off my wheels, ramps seems like a really good idea. I'm thinking about the RhinoGear 11909 as well as a second pair of stands.
I have seen many posts that indicate owners of ramps like them. I have also read of instances of the ramps failing. I have looked at them and found them clunky and hogging space. Over time the plastic will degrade. Even steel ramps have failed.

Nothing like solid wood. I have a couple of 2X6s with the leading edge cut at 45 degrees to elevate the front tires enough to get my jack under the front lip (my car is stock).

I could make one higher but I personally don't see a need for it. Its so easy to jack it up and add stands. I have a Fumoto valve for oil changes so I don't need to do anything under the car for an oil change. Oil change is from the open hood. My annual trans and diff fluid change are that: once a year. Jack it up!
Old 03-27-2015, 07:28 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Lateral loads on the jackstands can strain them and cause them to fail or slip. You can eliminate that by jacking up the front, putting it on stands, then jacking the rear, putting it on stands, then jacking up the front again a tiny bit off the stands and then lowering it. Probably overkill but if my S2000 is going to kill me it's not going to be from falling on me I hate getting under my car on stands and avoid it as much as I can - fortunately there's a garage in my area with lift bays for rent at $15 an hour, and with my Fumoto valve I can do an oil change without getting under the car.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:34 AM

Received 107 Likes on 102 Posts

Rubber jack and stand inserts are cool too, especially for the pinch weld points. Never had them before but I want some.

http://www.prothanesuspensionparts.c...sp?prod=191405
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece...and-95952.html
Old 03-27-2015, 08:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate my Rhino ramps. I used them once and said never again. Get a low profile floor jack (Harbor freight has some good ones that are popular) and 4 quality jack stands. Personally, I start raising the car from the front subframe, but the foam on the jack handle touches the bumper so some may not like that (even though I don't car, it doesn't damage anything since it's protected by foam padding) then get the front up on stands, then move to the back and lift from the differential bolt (remember to use a shop rag or you can dent/ding the differential case) then put the other two stands under.

Takes me maybe 5 minutes, 10 minutes tops.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:20 PM

Received 1,563 Likes on 929 Posts

http://revlimiter.net/blog/2010/07/m...tand-review-1/

I have two types, the Torin ones ( I like them, use them a lot but got mixed reviews here.) Very solid when I shake the car.

Also have steel/cast 4 point set, much larger and heavier. Bullet proof. Costco 20 years ago.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm about to install my exhaust too so this thread was very helpful. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Jacking up our s2000 from the rear