S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Just Got My Mugen Parts

Old 05-23-2002, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I'm absolutely serious about the power loss. I have the dyno charts in front of me. I know that chassis dynos can change day to day, but I baselined the engine, installed the header and exhaust and ran it again. I was not thrilled with the performance, as you can imagine. The advice I've been given is to install the Mugen ECU and that will fix everything. I'm waiting for it to arrive. I'll let you know then whether I've just burned $4500 or if I've bought 4 or 5 BHP. Either way, I'm underwhelmed.
Old 05-23-2002, 09:32 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 9906
[B]Yes, I'm absolutely serious about the power loss. I have the dyno charts in front of me.
Old 05-23-2002, 09:52 PM

Does having an aftermarket ECU void the warranty?
Old 05-24-2002, 01:32 AM

I have fitted the header, exhaust, carbon airbox, high capacity radiator (I live in Dubai Middle East,,,,,, Damn HOT) ECU, low temp thermostat and low temp fan switch. All from Mugen and all from Scott at King Motorsports. (great Guy by the way)

difference in power but more importantly delivers it better. I think its GREAT STUFF!!!

Over the past year I modified my other car with similar components and there was a gain in performance, but nothing like the difference in performance the Mugen stuff makes.

Happy to read you have fitted it all now and that you are impressed.

Take care
Denby
Old 05-24-2002, 11:51 AM

I can't believe you lost 5hp with the mugen header & exhaust. For $2800 you should atleast gain some power & at the worst break even knowing you have some of the best products designed for the S2000 on your car. I'm seriously having second thoughts about modifing this car with mugen. I've now been waiting over 4months for the front stabilizer & as soon as that comes in i was going to order mugen's radiator, radiator cap, thermostat, fan switch & ecu & install it all at once. About 2 weeks ago i called king to see if they received the new stabilizers(they don't know yet + i refuse to buy more products from king until i get what ordered) & told them about my plan to do the following mods, they said i would be safer running the mugen header & exhaust before i do the others i listed above. 2 months ago when i called they said it was cool for me to run the ecu right away as long as i was running 93octane or higher. Which one of their reps should i believe??? Sorry about your loss in hp & i hope you get everything straightened out, if i were you i would call king & let them know about your loss, they almost guarantee a marginal gain with the header & exhaust, maybe yours was a defect?? Let me know how things work out.
Matt
Old 05-24-2002, 08:04 PM

Thanks for your kind words. I too, hope that I find my missing horsepower. I'm waiting for the ECU which is on back order. Like the poster above, I also have the parts to keep the engine cooler to handle the advanced timing and supposed power increase from the ECU, and am just waiting for it to arrive. As for King Motorsports, I can only say good things about them, their interest in the customer and follow-up service. Every time I have had a question and emailed them, I have had a response the next or same day. They are true professionals and, in my experience, the best on-line performance shop to deal with. If I had a single criticism, it would be that the solution to every problem is to buy another Mugen part. I know Mugen is manufactured to the highest tolerances and they are certainly solid and will last. I just wish that on my car they made some power instead of decreasing the 205 I had bone stock on EIP's dyno. I will say the exhaust sounds beautiful, and it's almost worth the money for the deep mellow sound alone. I have not realized any benefit, either sonic or power from the header that I can notice. When the ECU arrives, I'll put it on and after it learns all about the header/exhaust and intake, I'll make sure the tires are the same pressure, the temp, humidity and barometric pressure are within 1% of the last run and I'll dyno it all over again and post the results. Keep your fingers crossed for me. My very understanding wife and fellow enthusiast is seriously wondering why we sent Mugen all that money instead of remodeling the basement....
Old 06-20-2002, 02:54 PM

hey 9906

how do you like your injen CAI.... do you have any problems wit it..... how is the drilled hole... is it causing any problems>>>?? Give me some info on that.. I 'm thinkin about geting either the INJEN or the AEM...... hope to hear from you soon.. or from anyone!
Old 06-20-2002, 05:09 PM

I like the Injen CAI very much. It fits without any problem. The install was easy. The sound is awesome especially when it hits VTEC. I'm waiting for my ECU to put it back on the dyno, but it definitely feels stronger across the RPM range. I don't know what you mean by the 'drilled hole'. Do you mean the attachment to the lower frame member? If so, it fits perfectly and was no problem to align and to install. I recommend this part as good sounding, straightforward install, and significant power increase. Disclaimer: at least on the butt dyno; hopefully will have dyno by this time next week to prove/disprove power claim.
Old 06-20-2002, 06:32 PM

has the radiator helped the car stay cooler? Does it keep the low thermswitch from coming on? I have spoon low stat and switch and waiting on cap to come in. I am debating on spending the $$$ to get the radiator, won't do it until I get owner feed back.
Old 06-21-2002, 01:41 PM

hey 9906

one more question..... how is it for daily driving ... I mean where I live it rains.. and also snows... hardcore in winter... did you have any problems with the CAI sucking up any water???.... You think that would be a problem if I buy the injen?

Quick Reply: Just Got My Mugen Parts