S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

K&N AirCharger or AEM CAI???

Old 04-09-2003, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N AirCharger or AEM CAI???

Which is better? I live in NJ so water is a pretty prevalent problem. I also don't want to kill my warranty, even though everything under the sun apparently can void a warranty. Any and all opinions welcome. Thanks
Old 04-09-2003, 06:47 PM

Received 770 Likes on 460 Posts

aem cai if you want an actual increase in hp
Old 04-09-2003, 07:03 PM

I read that the AirCharger will give some gains as well
Old 04-09-2003, 07:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by nownor
I read that the AirCharger will give some gains as well
read...

The only true hp gain is the CAI. The others like cold air induction kit are mostly little gain or no gain. Injen and AEM CAI have both been dynoed proven. Also a lot of members here have them and are known to make power. If you are worried about water, go with the aem bypass valve.
Old 04-09-2003, 09:44 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by evo s2000
[B]

read...

The only true hp gain is the CAI. The others like cold air induction kit are mostly little gain or no gain. Injen and AEM CAI have both been dynoed proven.
Old 04-09-2003, 11:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blah blah blah, each intake has some amount of gain at varying areas in the dynoplot. But it's really hard to dyno actual gains from any intake as the ram air effect isn't achieved until you hit the higher speed range. Unlike most people, I doubt one has easy access to a wind tunnel with a dyno to test this. And the dyno's I've come across only show what, 4whp on average with air being pushed by a fan at 20mph or so? Even then, varying conditions can take away any gains that might have shown previously.

I knew when I got the AEM, it wasn't really for the gains (as there isn't really that much by looking at various dyno sheets), it was also for the incredible sound at WOT and the throaty growl at mid rpms. The extra low end power that I got was unexpected as I could actually feel it off the line and was a bonus for me..

If it rains and floods regularly where you are located, just play it safe and get the K&N kit. I know that I've driven through numerous puddles over 2" high and not had a problem hydrolocking. Just don't drive through any swimming pools..
Old 04-10-2003, 05:30 AM

I personally dont like a CAI i have the type one air duct and it feels a little better i just like the more oem look
Old 04-10-2003, 05:55 AM

ok, i am trying to sell my comptech cai right now, reason:i cant hear my HKS exhaust!! that freekin intake is so loud, im goin with a stock intake with carbon cover, carbon spoon air duct and K&N but its kinda pricey, like $800 for my spoon thing and cover and filter. if you want loud vtec, get a cai, i will sell you mine, $200 shipped.
Old 04-10-2003, 07:18 AM

Originally posted by DouglaS2000
But it's really hard to dyno actual gains from any intake as the ram air effect isn't achieved until you hit the higher speed range.
Which is why I trust my Tazzo findings a lot more than I do the dyno (when it
comes to intakes especially). There is no elasticity required in interpretating solid #'s from an accelerometer.
The Tazzo, unlike the GTech, allows you to note the time difference between RPM points in any given gear. From 3K to 8K for instance in 3rd gear would give you a pretty good indication of which intakes are producing the best results. However, this sort of test eliminates heat soak which is a problem for any open filter not protected from heat. There's no doubt at speed the AEM and INJEN (and now the K&N Typhoon) intakes do well for the S2000 but I still say the only water ingestion threads I've seen come from these style intakes. I don't spend too much time driving through puddles but my main concern if I had such an intake would be from the high pressure car washes that I frequent. A filter unprotected by a closed faux brake duct vent would probably see some of that water.
Bear in mind this is just my own reasons. I know others who have the AEM and INJEN love it so take this info and file it with everyone else's opinion.
Old 04-10-2003, 08:21 AM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Russ
[B]

Quick Reply: K&N AirCharger or AEM CAI???